Nov 29, 2010, 1:32 PM EDT
Can I tell you how much I’m enjoying all of this Derek Jeter business? Really, Gleeman and I are talking about just changing the name of this joint to JeterTalk and going 24/7 with this bad boy.
Anyway: we’ve heard a few reports that the Yankees may nudge their offer to Derek Jeter up a bit, if for no other reason than to give the Captain a way to save face. Wallace Matthews, however, has a source telling him that the Yankees “are not budging from the three-year, $45 million offer,” that they think Jeter and his agent need to “drink the reality potion,” and that the sides haven’t talked since before Thanksgiving and no talks are presently planned.
In other news, with Juan Uribe apparently about to sign with Los Angeles, there is a slot open at shortstop in San Francisco. And while Brian Sabean has been better lately, you can bet that big bottle of single malt Overpay Veterans he keeps in his desk drawer is calling out to him right now. Do it Brian . . . what harm could it do? Do . . . it . . .
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 14
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 11
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 53
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 51
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)