Matthews: The Yankees aren’t budging off their three-year, $45 million offer to Jeter

Nov 29, 2010, 1:32 PM EST

mlb_jeter

Can I tell you how much I’m enjoying all of this Derek Jeter business? Really, Gleeman and I are talking about just changing the name of this joint to JeterTalk and going 24/7 with this bad boy.

Anyway: we’ve heard a few reports that the Yankees may nudge their offer to Derek Jeter up a bit, if for no other reason than to give the Captain a way to save face.  Wallace Matthews, however, has a source telling him that the Yankees “are not budging from the three-year, $45 million offer,” that they think Jeter and his agent need to “drink the reality potion,” and that the sides haven’t talked since before Thanksgiving and no talks are presently planned.

In other news, with Juan Uribe apparently about to sign with Los Angeles, there is a slot open at shortstop in San Francisco. And while Brian Sabean has been better lately, you can bet that big bottle of single malt Overpay Veterans he keeps in his desk drawer is calling out to him right now.  Do it Brian . . . what harm could it do?  Do . . . it . . .

1. klbader - Nov 29, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Here’s an interesting thing to ponder: who would be worse off after overpaying for a shortstop, the Dodgers or the Giants if they got Jeter?

2. Jack Marshall - Nov 29, 2010 at 1:44 PM

I hate it when athletes live up to the stereotype of being greedy egomaniacs with no sense of proportion or non-material values. Especially when they are supposedly heroes. I can’t enjoy watching Jeter tear down his reputation for money he doesn’t need and would never miss.

• ramsbladdercup - Nov 29, 2010 at 2:04 PM

You hit the nail on the head Jack. As an unabashed Jeter defender, I drank the “Jeter is different” Cool-aid. I kept thinking, maybe there is something we don’t know about going on, but the direct quotes out of Cashman’s and the Agent’s mouths seem to tell the story.

The only way this comes out with Jeter unscathed is the story in the next week or so where Jeter shows up and says, “Hey I’ve been in Bolivia helping orphans for the past month or so without any means of communication, ‘What’s going on?”.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 29, 2010 at 2:29 PM

I on the other hand THOROUGHLY enjoy watching Jeter show us all who he really is. Why should we hold him to a higher standard (in our minds) than he holds himself to???

• Utley's Hair - Nov 29, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Silly, silly Jonny5—he just holds his paychecks to a higher standard, not himself.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 29, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Well yeah, but there’s like a whole city worth of people who think he’s god, or the closest thing to god that can play baseball… Anyway, I always felt he wasn’t “all that”. And this gives me hope that I’m not some kind of pessimist that just doesn’t like guys who make too much $$$. I might be ok afterall….

3. Utley's Hair - Nov 29, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Are we sure Bobby V isn’t handling these negotiations?

4. Jonny 5 - Nov 29, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Derek Jeter annoys me more than the cowbells in TB. More than Scott Boras during the off season. More than the little pull ring that likes to break off sealing my carton of OJ. More than being in a traffic jam for 45 minutes just to find out it’s a rubberneck delay caused by idiots looking in the opposite lane because there’s a fender bender.

I really hope the Yankees don’t budge an inch.

• Old Gator - Nov 29, 2010 at 2:55 PM

I don’t know what expressway you drive, but here in Macondo rubbernecking is the local sport of kings when backandforthandbackandforthandbackandforthball is out of season. At least I can – and do – fall asleep when discussions of Jeter form as spontaneously as oily spectra on the surface of a southern New Jersey pond. I can’t do that on the Palmetto Expressway. Ergo, the rubberneckers will continue to piss me off more than the sports bloggers who can’t seem to help beating this dead dog of a Jeter story until the maggots pass stricter building codes to offset all the shaking.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 29, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Yes the rubberneckers would be dead if words did kill. I’d have slayed a ton of ‘em myself, maybe a ton and a half.. And I have yet to speak words that would kill Jeter if words could indeed kill. So good point sir. BTW the Oily spectra gives our fish a nice shiny coat. Makes them look more healthy and vibrant too. Maybe if Jeter took a dip down here, he could trick the Yanks into thinking he was 10 years younger, much like the fish trick us to think they’re edible as they slowly kill us to exact their revenge???

• Old Gator - Nov 29, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Heh – I expect they use the oily spectra to cover up the sores they’ve picked up from the latest Pfiesteria piscicidia bloom. You know, the way Renaissance hookers wore merkens to cover up their syphillitic lesions. Or the way Marv Albert wears a toupee to cover up the cigarette burns from his latest tag-team S&M liaisons with Eliot Spitzer. Or something like that.

• okobojicat - Nov 29, 2010 at 2:57 PM

As long as we’re hoping, why don’t we hope they pull back on the offer like they did to Damon last year. How effin’ sweet would that be, come Feb 1, Jeter says, “alright, give me 3 guaranteed and 1 team option” and the team goes, “err, no” and trades for Romine for Bartlett. That. would. be. EPIC.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 29, 2010 at 3:19 PM

EPIC, would be them offering him what he’s actually worth, just to watch his head deflate and fly around the room. pffffffffffffffffffffffffarty sound. Jeter’s head is normal size again, his range should be better with a smaller head. Don’t you think?

5. jh0088 - Nov 29, 2010 at 4:02 PM

Sigh. I’ve been a big defender of Jeter on these pages in the sense that I have been trying to keep a little bit of reality in my mind about this process. See, so many people are bashing on him for wanting all this money over all those years as if he were this evil person. And if they are Yankee fans like I am I have been saying that they should tone down their rhetoric because unless they plan to boo him on Opening Day, or refuse to applaud when he gets to 3000 hits, this is the guy who still brought a ton of memories over the years to you and your kids.

He’s just a baseball player and we are attributing this George Soros, all knowing element to his personality that, in my mind, grossly over estimates Jeter’s grasp of the situation. Yes, he and his agent, are asking for way too much money, but where everyone else is attributing it to pure greed, I have a different take: He’s a just a baseball player.

Nothing more.

Of every major sport baseball players are notorious for being the poorest educated of all professional athletes. Football players, basketball players, and even hockey players these days all must attend at least some college. Sure the One and Done NBA locks don’t stick around to get a real education, but just take a major step backwards here and look at the big picture: Derek Jeter is a High School Graduate who never went to college and has been a multi millionaire since he was 18 years old.

What makes anyone think that he has a grasp of the real economic or political situation at work here? What makes you think he has some well thought out machivellian plan? Or that he is really this media guru manipulating things behind the scenes?

The guy can hit a baseball and dates an actress who is ten years younger than him. That’s it. Why does that relationship with Minka Kelly work so well? Is it because she is sophisticated beyond her years? I doubt that. It his much more likely that Jeter is simply still a 24 year old in maturity level and awareness of the situation he finds himself in at the moment.

The smartest thing he ever did was to stay quiet while others bragged about themselves during the last 15 years. He played wonderfully in the field, called him “Mr. Torre” and didn’t get caught advertising for a live in female assistant (please send picture with resume). That doesn’t make him a physics professor.

We attribute way too much to this Yankee Icon and I for one would simply like to put him in a box with my Yankee memories and quit sullying his name for not being smart enough to know that what he, and his reps, are asking for is wrong.

• Glenn - Nov 29, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Bingo!

6. uyf1950 - Nov 29, 2010 at 4:13 PM

I still say if this doesn’t get settled by Dec. 5th just before the winter meetings start it’s time for both Jeter and the Yankees to move on. If need be and the Yankees have to do some patchwork job with the SS position for 1 year, so be it. This is getting ridiculous. Then assuming Reyes is healthy after the 2011 season he will in all likelihood be a free agent the Yankees can make an offer to him or one of the other available FA. At least Reyes would only have to move across town. The other alternative that I previously mentioned is to move ARod over to short and make Beltre an offer that he and Boras would find attractive. One way or another this has to come to an end by the winter meetings.

7. uyf1950 - Nov 29, 2010 at 5:49 PM

For anyone interested there is an incredibly good piece on the Jeter/Yankees situation. For those interested here is the link:

You may gave to cut and paste but the article is worth reading.

8. bigharold - Nov 29, 2010 at 11:04 PM

“.. incredibly good..”? Are you kidding? This guy is either on Cashman’s payroll or he’s just not a very good reporter.

His assertion that “… it’s also true it was Jeter’s camp that fired the first salvo — telling the New York Times they were “baffled”” is flat wrong. Before Close’s remark was reported there was there remarks that were on the record;

Hal Steinbrenner going on the Michael Kay radio show first the first shot in the PR war. When asked about Jeter contract he made a point of framing the negotiation by saying that it “.. could get Messy” and that he was “running a business”. While both were true it was completely uncalled for too.

There was Hank’s moronic statement about how the rich the Yankees have made players. Apparently, he missed the part about how those very same players made the Steinbrenner’s rich beyond imagination.

There was Randy Lavine’s stupid rant about it being a “baseball negotiation” and that it wasn’t “ten years ago”. Completely asinine but not surprising considering the source.

This article is pure horse pucky. Considering it’s Faux Sports, that isn’t a shock. Clearly they’re not any better that Faux News.

If the Yankees weren’t suppose to drag this through the media then they’ve done a colossally poor job. And, because of that they’ve turned a tricky negotiation into an incredibly difficult one AND for no good reason.

• uyf1950 - Nov 29, 2010 at 11:35 PM

• mtner77 - Nov 30, 2010 at 3:19 AM

….”I guess one’s interpretation/appreciation of the article depends on one’s perspective. You’re obviously not a fan of Fox Sports or Fox News. I’ll admit my sentiments are with the Yankees, but the ferocity of your reply might lead some to think that the articles writer isn’t the only one who is showing some lack of objectivity?”….

“Objectivity”? From “Big”Harold? Your kidding right?

• bigharold - Nov 30, 2010 at 8:40 AM

” I’ll admit my sentiments are with the Yankees,…”

Really, and you question objectivity? Frankly I’m not with either side nor do I understand why Yankee fans, which I’m one of, feel the need to take a side.

And, if you are a Yankee fan, as you profess, how is that you didn’t notice that this “.. incredibly good..” reporting was clearly factually inaccurate? Perhaps you should take a look at your own objectivity?

• bigharold - Nov 30, 2010 at 8:43 AM

mtnr77…

“If he wants to complain about politics he is in the wrong forum…. I wonder if he knows that??”

I didn’t complain about politics, I complained about shoddy reporting. Try to keep up.

• uyf1950 - Nov 30, 2010 at 10:10 AM

To bigharold – I believe I am being objective, but you have a right to your opinion. I believe Jeter is being offered a more then fair contract by the Yankees for is future value to the team both on and off the field. I’m just not letting my objectivity be clouded by the minutia surrounding the real issues that’s money and length of contract. As far as I’m concerned the minutia that you seem so concerned about the who said what and when is of no consequence and will ultimately have zero bearing on the final agreement. Whether or not the parties are able to bridge the chasm in what each party believes is fair value. Even if both parties had said absolutely nothing this was destined to be a long and drawn out process because both parties have such divergent views of Jeters value.

9. marinermousse - Nov 30, 2010 at 2:11 AM

Maybe the Yankees should pull their offer off the table completely and go in a different direction. They can then either go out and trade for Stephen Drew (longer term solution) or sign Miguel Tejada (till the better crop of FA SS next year), save the money and sign Jason Werth AND Cliff Lee. I think the fans would forget Jeter pretty fast…given how much NY Yankee fans are for “winners” and not very loyal. They would have a better offensive team since Drew is probably better than Jeter (with Tejada, perhaps a push at this stage) and of course Werth would pick them up defensively and offensively in the OF, with Swisher becoming DH and Werth playing CF against LHP, with Swisher in Right and Posada then the DH on those days. They use Gardner as a true leadoff hitter and he outdoes Jeter by far!!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester