Nov 29, 2010, 8:01 PM EST
UPDATE: Not so fast. According to Steve Popper of the Bergen Record, a baseball executive says the Mets and Chris Young are not close to an agreement yet. The two sides are said to be talking, though.
8:01 PM: Buster Olney of ESPN.com hears that the Mets are closing in on a contract with free agent right-hander Chris Young.
Young, 31, has been limited to just 18 starts over the past two seasons due to shoulder problems. He went 2-0 with a 0.90 ERA and 15/11 K/BB ratio over four starts with the Padres this past season.
There’s no word on the terms of the deal, but Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports was told that Young had multiple one-year incentive-laden contract offers on the table.
Sandy Alderson and Paul DePodesta both formerly worked for the Padres, so history probably plays a significant part here. The Mets are also working with limited funds this winter as they wait for some bad contracts to come off the books, so low-risk/high-upside signings make sense, especially for a rotation that will be missing Johan Santana indefinitely. Young only throws in the mid 80s at this point and is primarily a flyball pitcher, but assuming he is healthy, Citi Field should be a pretty decent match for his profile.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)