Nov 29, 2010, 8:01 PM EDT
UPDATE: Not so fast. According to Steve Popper of the Bergen Record, a baseball executive says the Mets and Chris Young are not close to an agreement yet. The two sides are said to be talking, though.
8:01 PM: Buster Olney of ESPN.com hears that the Mets are closing in on a contract with free agent right-hander Chris Young.
Young, 31, has been limited to just 18 starts over the past two seasons due to shoulder problems. He went 2-0 with a 0.90 ERA and 15/11 K/BB ratio over four starts with the Padres this past season.
There’s no word on the terms of the deal, but Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports was told that Young had multiple one-year incentive-laden contract offers on the table.
Sandy Alderson and Paul DePodesta both formerly worked for the Padres, so history probably plays a significant part here. The Mets are also working with limited funds this winter as they wait for some bad contracts to come off the books, so low-risk/high-upside signings make sense, especially for a rotation that will be missing Johan Santana indefinitely. Young only throws in the mid 80s at this point and is primarily a flyball pitcher, but assuming he is healthy, Citi Field should be a pretty decent match for his profile.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 0
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 51
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 77
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 65
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)