Nov 29, 2010, 8:01 PM EDT
UPDATE: Not so fast. According to Steve Popper of the Bergen Record, a baseball executive says the Mets and Chris Young are not close to an agreement yet. The two sides are said to be talking, though.
8:01 PM: Buster Olney of ESPN.com hears that the Mets are closing in on a contract with free agent right-hander Chris Young.
Young, 31, has been limited to just 18 starts over the past two seasons due to shoulder problems. He went 2-0 with a 0.90 ERA and 15/11 K/BB ratio over four starts with the Padres this past season.
There’s no word on the terms of the deal, but Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports was told that Young had multiple one-year incentive-laden contract offers on the table.
Sandy Alderson and Paul DePodesta both formerly worked for the Padres, so history probably plays a significant part here. The Mets are also working with limited funds this winter as they wait for some bad contracts to come off the books, so low-risk/high-upside signings make sense, especially for a rotation that will be missing Johan Santana indefinitely. Young only throws in the mid 80s at this point and is primarily a flyball pitcher, but assuming he is healthy, Citi Field should be a pretty decent match for his profile.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 1
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)