Nov 29, 2010, 11:07 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, De La Rosa will receive $32-33 million from the Rockies, essentially matching the three-year contract Ted Lilly got with the Dodgers.
11:07 PM: It’s a busy evening for the Rockies. Not only are they about to lock up their star shortstop, but they are close to retaining a key piece of their starting rotation.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Rockies are close to a three-year contract with Jorge De La Rosa. Jon Heyman of SI.com hears that the deal is “believed to be worth” $30 million over the three years. De La Rosa was reportedly seeking a four-year contract at minimum, so if true, Rockies general manager Dan O’Dowd did well to hold firm at three years guaranteed.
It’s mildly surprising that De La Rosa is willing to sign so quickly, as many saw him as a fallback option for the teams involved in the bidding for Cliff Lee. The 29-year-old left-hander was regarded as the second best starting pitcher available this winter, but that isn’t saying much, really. His 4.22 ERA this past season was the best of his career and he still averaged 4.1 BB/9. De La Rosa has evolved into a fine mid-rotation starter in Colorado, but he never deserved to be paid like an ace.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 9
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 141
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 19
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 33
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (141)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)