Nov 29, 2010, 6:36 PM EDT
That’s the word from Russell Martin’s agent Matt Colleran, who tells Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times that he and the Dodgers have exchanged “general ideas” about a potential deal before Thursday’s non-tender deadline, but that the club has not presented his client with a formal offer.
“If any offer is made to us, I’ll certainly discuss that with Russell.”
Martin’s future in Los Angeles is in doubt after yet another mediocre season at the plate, as he batted just .248/.347/.332 with a 679 OPS. Further complicating matters is that the 27-year-old backstop is currently recovering from a season-ending hip fracture. He earned $5.05 million this past season and could make roughly $6 million through the arbitration process this winter.
The Dodgers could always cut Martin loose on Thursday and try to bring him back at a lesser salary, but they also risk losing him to another team. As of now, the only other catchers on the Dodgers’ 40-man roster are A.J. Ellis and Hector Gimenez, who has two major league at-bats (in 2006) and was signed to a minor league contract earlier this month. It’s not an easy call.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 20
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)