Nov 29, 2010, 6:36 PM EDT
That’s the word from Russell Martin’s agent Matt Colleran, who tells Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times that he and the Dodgers have exchanged “general ideas” about a potential deal before Thursday’s non-tender deadline, but that the club has not presented his client with a formal offer.
“If any offer is made to us, I’ll certainly discuss that with Russell.”
Martin’s future in Los Angeles is in doubt after yet another mediocre season at the plate, as he batted just .248/.347/.332 with a 679 OPS. Further complicating matters is that the 27-year-old backstop is currently recovering from a season-ending hip fracture. He earned $5.05 million this past season and could make roughly $6 million through the arbitration process this winter.
The Dodgers could always cut Martin loose on Thursday and try to bring him back at a lesser salary, but they also risk losing him to another team. As of now, the only other catchers on the Dodgers’ 40-man roster are A.J. Ellis and Hector Gimenez, who has two major league at-bats (in 2006) and was signed to a minor league contract earlier this month. It’s not an easy call.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 2
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 55
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 99
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 70
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)