Nov 29, 2010, 6:36 PM EST
That’s the word from Russell Martin’s agent Matt Colleran, who tells Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times that he and the Dodgers have exchanged “general ideas” about a potential deal before Thursday’s non-tender deadline, but that the club has not presented his client with a formal offer.
“If any offer is made to us, I’ll certainly discuss that with Russell.”
Martin’s future in Los Angeles is in doubt after yet another mediocre season at the plate, as he batted just .248/.347/.332 with a 679 OPS. Further complicating matters is that the 27-year-old backstop is currently recovering from a season-ending hip fracture. He earned $5.05 million this past season and could make roughly $6 million through the arbitration process this winter.
The Dodgers could always cut Martin loose on Thursday and try to bring him back at a lesser salary, but they also risk losing him to another team. As of now, the only other catchers on the Dodgers’ 40-man roster are A.J. Ellis and Hector Gimenez, who has two major league at-bats (in 2006) and was signed to a minor league contract earlier this month. It’s not an easy call.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 7
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 276
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (276)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)