Nov 29, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
Last week we spent a lot of time talking about the loan Scott Boras gave to his client, Edward Salcedo. You’ll recall that the New York Times portrayed it as something nefarious. Boras’ subsequent comments about it, however, combined with some of my own deduction, lead me to believe that there was nothing really wrong with the loan and that the story was evidence of an agenda at work. Possible agendas? To paint the Dominican Republic as a lawless land in desperate need of tighter MLB control. Or, at the very least, to slam Scott Boras, because we know how fun that is to do. My final assessment last week: at worst we have a violation of union rules which, while serious in and of itself, is not a dire thing.
Turns out we don’t even have a violation of union rules. Keith Law runs it down today and it seems that even if everything we read in the initial article was true, no MLBPA rules were violated by the Boras-Salcedo loan.
So the question is this: who’s out to slam Scott Boras? It’s gotta be somebody, or else this should have registered as a non-story.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)