Nov 29, 2010, 9:06 AM EDT
Multiple sources are saying that the Dodgers are taking a hard look at infielder Juan Uribe.
I like Uribe and I like that the Dodgers would look at trying to take away a key part of the Giants’ 2010 success. Some nice in-your-face value to it, ya know?
At the same time, I think Uribe may be the overpay of the offseason. He’s got pop, yes, and after having watched him in the playoffs I’m higher on his defense than I had been previously. But he still has some suspect on-base abilities, posting a .300+ OBP twice in the past five years. Yes, it was the last two, so maybe he figured something out, but he’s still pretty below average in that department.
I’d take a chance on him if I were the Dodgers. He’s certainly an upgrade over Ryan Theriot at second and could easily replace Rafael Furcal or Casey Blake if one gets injured or next year when both are presumably gone. But in a thin market for infielders, he’s probably going to get paid more than he’s worth. As long as the Dodgers realize that and don’t expect him to be an elite hitter, great. If they think they’re going to get everything they pay for, however, they may be a bit disappointed.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 12
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 11
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 11
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 74
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)