Nov 29, 2010, 9:06 AM EDT
Multiple sources are saying that the Dodgers are taking a hard look at infielder Juan Uribe.
I like Uribe and I like that the Dodgers would look at trying to take away a key part of the Giants’ 2010 success. Some nice in-your-face value to it, ya know?
At the same time, I think Uribe may be the overpay of the offseason. He’s got pop, yes, and after having watched him in the playoffs I’m higher on his defense than I had been previously. But he still has some suspect on-base abilities, posting a .300+ OBP twice in the past five years. Yes, it was the last two, so maybe he figured something out, but he’s still pretty below average in that department.
I’d take a chance on him if I were the Dodgers. He’s certainly an upgrade over Ryan Theriot at second and could easily replace Rafael Furcal or Casey Blake if one gets injured or next year when both are presumably gone. But in a thin market for infielders, he’s probably going to get paid more than he’s worth. As long as the Dodgers realize that and don’t expect him to be an elite hitter, great. If they think they’re going to get everything they pay for, however, they may be a bit disappointed.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)