Nov 29, 2010, 7:00 PM EDT
You knew this was coming.
According to Brian Costa of the Wall Street Journal, the Giants have been in contact with Derek Jeter’s agent Casey Close.
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle speculated earlier this month that the Giants would likely keep an eye on the negotiations — remember, general manager Brian Sabean was the Yankees’ vice president of player development when Jeter was drafted in 1992 — so this isn’t much of a shocker. Still, Costa writes that the Giants aren’t seriously pursuing the free agent shortstop.
And who would, really? Though negotiations have gotten ugly in the past few days, no team would actually top the Yankees’ reported offer of three years and $45 million. Right?
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)