Nov 29, 2010, 7:00 PM EDT
You knew this was coming.
According to Brian Costa of the Wall Street Journal, the Giants have been in contact with Derek Jeter’s agent Casey Close.
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle speculated earlier this month that the Giants would likely keep an eye on the negotiations — remember, general manager Brian Sabean was the Yankees’ vice president of player development when Jeter was drafted in 1992 — so this isn’t much of a shocker. Still, Costa writes that the Giants aren’t seriously pursuing the free agent shortstop.
And who would, really? Though negotiations have gotten ugly in the past few days, no team would actually top the Yankees’ reported offer of three years and $45 million. Right?
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)