Nov 29, 2010, 7:00 PM EDT
You knew this was coming.
According to Brian Costa of the Wall Street Journal, the Giants have been in contact with Derek Jeter’s agent Casey Close.
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle speculated earlier this month that the Giants would likely keep an eye on the negotiations — remember, general manager Brian Sabean was the Yankees’ vice president of player development when Jeter was drafted in 1992 — so this isn’t much of a shocker. Still, Costa writes that the Giants aren’t seriously pursuing the free agent shortstop.
And who would, really? Though negotiations have gotten ugly in the past few days, no team would actually top the Yankees’ reported offer of three years and $45 million. Right?
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)