Nov 29, 2010, 7:00 PM EDT
You knew this was coming.
According to Brian Costa of the Wall Street Journal, the Giants have been in contact with Derek Jeter’s agent Casey Close.
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle speculated earlier this month that the Giants would likely keep an eye on the negotiations — remember, general manager Brian Sabean was the Yankees’ vice president of player development when Jeter was drafted in 1992 — so this isn’t much of a shocker. Still, Costa writes that the Giants aren’t seriously pursuing the free agent shortstop.
And who would, really? Though negotiations have gotten ugly in the past few days, no team would actually top the Yankees’ reported offer of three years and $45 million. Right?
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 36
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 51
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 49
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)