Nov 29, 2010, 7:00 PM EDT
You knew this was coming.
According to Brian Costa of the Wall Street Journal, the Giants have been in contact with Derek Jeter’s agent Casey Close.
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle speculated earlier this month that the Giants would likely keep an eye on the negotiations — remember, general manager Brian Sabean was the Yankees’ vice president of player development when Jeter was drafted in 1992 — so this isn’t much of a shocker. Still, Costa writes that the Giants aren’t seriously pursuing the free agent shortstop.
And who would, really? Though negotiations have gotten ugly in the past few days, no team would actually top the Yankees’ reported offer of three years and $45 million. Right?
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 15
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 21
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 6
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 63
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games