Nov 30, 2010, 8:22 PM EDT
Brian Sabean strikes again.
According to Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes, the Giants have agreed to a one-year, $6.5 million contract with veteran infielder Miguel Tejada. The contract will also include about $500,000 in pefromance-based bonuses.
Tejada no longer has good range at shortstop and batted just .269/.312/.381 over the course of the 2010 season. Paired with hefty third baseman Pablo Sandoval, the left side of San Francisco’s infield will have some serious holes next year.
The Giants had to scramble this winter after losing both Edgar Renteria and Juan Uribe, but this looks to be irresponsible spending.
Sabean and Co. are probably done looking into trading for Rays shortstop Jason Bartlett.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (162)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)