Nov 30, 2010, 9:43 PM EST
Craving more Derek Jeter news? Of course you are.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Jeter and his agent, Casey Close, met Tuesday in Tampa, Florida with Yankees officials.
The two sides had not spoken in several days, according to Rosenthal, and wanted to touch base. It’s not clear if contract numbers were discussed, but that’s probably a safe assumption.
Jeter is thought to be seeking a four- or five-year deal worth around $23 million per season. The Yankees, meanwhile, have offered the veteran shortstop a three-year, $45 million contract and don’t see any reason to up the price.
Jeter, 36, batted just .270/.340/.370 over 663 at-bats in 2010 and showed poor range at the shortstop position.
The Giants, who might have made a bid had the lack of progress with the Yankees continued, just picked up shortstop Miguel Tejada on the free agent market. Jeter would be wise to bite the bullet and accept the Yanks’ generous proposal.
UPDATE: Bob Klapisch of the Bergen Record hears that the “tenor” of talks today was “positive.”
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)