Nov 30, 2010, 11:49 AM EST
Kevin Correia will turn down San Diego’s arbitration offer but is still interested in potentially re-signing with the Padres, according to agent Damon Lapa.
Tonight is the deadline for free agents to accept or decline arbitration offers, and as a Type B free agent Correia will fetch the Padres a compensatory draft pick between the first and second rounds should he sign elsewhere.
After a strong 2009 that saw him post a 3.91 ERA in 33 starts Correia struggled this season and was yanked from the rotation in September, finishing with a 5.40 ERA in 145 innings.
His decision not to accept arbitration is somewhat surprising, as doing so would have guaranteed him at least the $3.6 million salary he earned in 2010. Either the market for the 30-year-old right-hander with a 4.57 career ERA is better than it seemingly should be or the Padres and Correia worked out one of those gentleman’s agreements beforehand to ensure he’d decline the arbitration offer if they made it.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 80
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)