Nov 30, 2010, 11:49 AM EST
Kevin Correia will turn down San Diego’s arbitration offer but is still interested in potentially re-signing with the Padres, according to agent Damon Lapa.
Tonight is the deadline for free agents to accept or decline arbitration offers, and as a Type B free agent Correia will fetch the Padres a compensatory draft pick between the first and second rounds should he sign elsewhere.
After a strong 2009 that saw him post a 3.91 ERA in 33 starts Correia struggled this season and was yanked from the rotation in September, finishing with a 5.40 ERA in 145 innings.
His decision not to accept arbitration is somewhat surprising, as doing so would have guaranteed him at least the $3.6 million salary he earned in 2010. Either the market for the 30-year-old right-hander with a 4.57 career ERA is better than it seemingly should be or the Padres and Correia worked out one of those gentleman’s agreements beforehand to ensure he’d decline the arbitration offer if they made it.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)