Nov 30, 2010, 10:47 AM EDT
Jamie Moyer missed the final two months of the season with an elbow injury that he aggravated while pitching winter ball in the Dominican Republic earlier this month, which combined with his status as a free agent led many to assume that he’d be calling it a career at age 48.
However, yesterday Moyer announced plans to undergo elbow surgery with an eye toward returning for a 25th season in 2012, writing “we are cautiously optimistic superman will make a comeback!” on the Facebook page for his family’s charity.
Moyer was still capable of getting big-league hitters out before the injury, going 9-9 with a 4.84 ERA in 19 starts for the Phillies, but he’ll be 49 years old by the time spring training rolls around in 2012 and no pitcher in the past 40 seasons has appeared in a game at that age.
In fact, Satchell Paige, Hoyt Wilhelm, and Jack Quinn are the only pitchers in baseball history to take the mound at 49 or older and they combined to throw a total of just 44 innings. Toss in the normal question marks associated with going under the knife and the odds are stacked pretty heavily against Moyer pitching again. Of course, the odds were also stacked pretty heavily against someone with just 34 career wins through age 30 still being around at age 47, let alone with 267 victories.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 25
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)