Nov 30, 2010, 3:30 PM EST
Or so Ken Rosenthal reports. I can’t imagine why they’d want to go with another aging, ex-Red Sox defensive liability in left field after getting rid of Manny Ramirez, but there’s a lot I don’t understand about this world.
If the Dodgers do sign Damon, it would just be the latest in a series of bold moves for a team that many thought would be doing nothing this winter. They’ve already signed Ted Lilly, Juan Uribe, Hiroki Kuroda and Jon Garland for cryin’ out loud. I’d like a Damon signing the least among those moves, however. This is a team that has a pretty nice rotation and a centerfielder in Matt Kemp who took a big step back defensively last season. You think you’d want someone in left who could get after the ball. Or, better yet, a centerfielder who could do so, allowing Kemp to be shifted to left.
As for Damon, if the Dodgers don’t really have any interest in him, no worries: Jon Heyman says that he’d be a great fit on all manner of AL East teams. And if you can’t believe what Heyman says about a Scott Boras client, what can you believe in this crazy world?
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)