Nov 30, 2010, 3:30 PM EST
Or so Ken Rosenthal reports. I can’t imagine why they’d want to go with another aging, ex-Red Sox defensive liability in left field after getting rid of Manny Ramirez, but there’s a lot I don’t understand about this world.
If the Dodgers do sign Damon, it would just be the latest in a series of bold moves for a team that many thought would be doing nothing this winter. They’ve already signed Ted Lilly, Juan Uribe, Hiroki Kuroda and Jon Garland for cryin’ out loud. I’d like a Damon signing the least among those moves, however. This is a team that has a pretty nice rotation and a centerfielder in Matt Kemp who took a big step back defensively last season. You think you’d want someone in left who could get after the ball. Or, better yet, a centerfielder who could do so, allowing Kemp to be shifted to left.
As for Damon, if the Dodgers don’t really have any interest in him, no worries: Jon Heyman says that he’d be a great fit on all manner of AL East teams. And if you can’t believe what Heyman says about a Scott Boras client, what can you believe in this crazy world?
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 272
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (275)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)