Nov 30, 2010, 5:41 AM EDT
UPDATE: Call off the Pettitte-to-Texas party. Jeff Wilson at the Star-Telegram spoke with Nolan Ryan late last night and said that there is no truth to the report that the Rangers are interested in Andy Pettitte. To the extent Pettitte and Nolan Ryan talked, it was to exchange pleasantries, and to the extent Pettitte talked about pitching next year it was to say that he was pitching for the Yankees or nowhere.
So that’s no fun. But hey, no one said the truth had to be fun.
Monday, 9:31 P.M.: This is fun.
According to Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News, Rangers president Nolan Ryan recently contacted free agent left-hander Andy Pettitte in order to gauge the veteran left-hander’s interest in returning to his home state.
Pettitte, 38, recently said that if he decides to pitch again next season, it will be as a member of the Yankees, but a few extra dollars and the lure of pitching closer to his home in Deer Park, Texas could be enough to change his mind. Hey, he’s done it before, so perhaps they have history on their side. Plus, because the Yankees did not offer Pettitte arbitration, it would not cost the Rangers a draft pick to sign him.
At the very least, the Rangers’ interest could give the 38-year-old left-hander some much needed leverage. Pettitte earned $11.5 million this past season while posting a 3.28 ERA over 21 starts. He figures to be handsomely rewarded in what will likely be his last season.
Who knows if this will go anywhere, but it would be pretty interesting to see the Yankees and Rangers battle it out for both Pettitte and Cliff Lee.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)