Nov 30, 2010, 5:41 AM EDT
UPDATE: Call off the Pettitte-to-Texas party. Jeff Wilson at the Star-Telegram spoke with Nolan Ryan late last night and said that there is no truth to the report that the Rangers are interested in Andy Pettitte. To the extent Pettitte and Nolan Ryan talked, it was to exchange pleasantries, and to the extent Pettitte talked about pitching next year it was to say that he was pitching for the Yankees or nowhere.
So that’s no fun. But hey, no one said the truth had to be fun.
Monday, 9:31 P.M.: This is fun.
According to Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News, Rangers president Nolan Ryan recently contacted free agent left-hander Andy Pettitte in order to gauge the veteran left-hander’s interest in returning to his home state.
Pettitte, 38, recently said that if he decides to pitch again next season, it will be as a member of the Yankees, but a few extra dollars and the lure of pitching closer to his home in Deer Park, Texas could be enough to change his mind. Hey, he’s done it before, so perhaps they have history on their side. Plus, because the Yankees did not offer Pettitte arbitration, it would not cost the Rangers a draft pick to sign him.
At the very least, the Rangers’ interest could give the 38-year-old left-hander some much needed leverage. Pettitte earned $11.5 million this past season while posting a 3.28 ERA over 21 starts. He figures to be handsomely rewarded in what will likely be his last season.
Who knows if this will go anywhere, but it would be pretty interesting to see the Yankees and Rangers battle it out for both Pettitte and Cliff Lee.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)