Nov 30, 2010, 5:41 AM EDT
UPDATE: Call off the Pettitte-to-Texas party. Jeff Wilson at the Star-Telegram spoke with Nolan Ryan late last night and said that there is no truth to the report that the Rangers are interested in Andy Pettitte. To the extent Pettitte and Nolan Ryan talked, it was to exchange pleasantries, and to the extent Pettitte talked about pitching next year it was to say that he was pitching for the Yankees or nowhere.
So that’s no fun. But hey, no one said the truth had to be fun.
Monday, 9:31 P.M.: This is fun.
According to Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News, Rangers president Nolan Ryan recently contacted free agent left-hander Andy Pettitte in order to gauge the veteran left-hander’s interest in returning to his home state.
Pettitte, 38, recently said that if he decides to pitch again next season, it will be as a member of the Yankees, but a few extra dollars and the lure of pitching closer to his home in Deer Park, Texas could be enough to change his mind. Hey, he’s done it before, so perhaps they have history on their side. Plus, because the Yankees did not offer Pettitte arbitration, it would not cost the Rangers a draft pick to sign him.
At the very least, the Rangers’ interest could give the 38-year-old left-hander some much needed leverage. Pettitte earned $11.5 million this past season while posting a 3.28 ERA over 21 starts. He figures to be handsomely rewarded in what will likely be his last season.
Who knows if this will go anywhere, but it would be pretty interesting to see the Yankees and Rangers battle it out for both Pettitte and Cliff Lee.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 30
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)