Dec 1, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
UPDATE: Slusser just posted a few tweets walking back her report about Dunn meeting with the A’s yesterday, including: “I’m told much to my horror that the Chronicle’s report of earlier today that the Athletics met with Dunn is not accurate.”
She stands by the information about the A’s being “in the mix” for Dunn, but the meeting never took place and, as I wrote initially, it’s hard to take Oakland as a realistic landing spot for him either way.
A’s representatives traveled to Houston yesterday to meet with Lance Berkman and while in Texas they also had a separate meeting with Adam Dunn, according to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle.
I’m sure Billy Beane and company had extensive sales pitches prepared for both players, but I prefer to imagine the A’s ringing Dunn’s doorbell and shouting “hey, we were in the neighborhood, so we decided to stop by!” as he answers the door wearing pajamas, slippers, and bed-head.
Dunn signing with Oakland seems highly unlikely given his reported asking price, but the A’s have been linked to Berkman repeatedly throughout the offseason and are clearly looking at various veteran designated hitter options following reports that they may non-tender Jack Cust.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 35
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)