Dec 1, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
UPDATE: Slusser just posted a few tweets walking back her report about Dunn meeting with the A’s yesterday, including: “I’m told much to my horror that the Chronicle’s report of earlier today that the Athletics met with Dunn is not accurate.”
She stands by the information about the A’s being “in the mix” for Dunn, but the meeting never took place and, as I wrote initially, it’s hard to take Oakland as a realistic landing spot for him either way.
A’s representatives traveled to Houston yesterday to meet with Lance Berkman and while in Texas they also had a separate meeting with Adam Dunn, according to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle.
I’m sure Billy Beane and company had extensive sales pitches prepared for both players, but I prefer to imagine the A’s ringing Dunn’s doorbell and shouting “hey, we were in the neighborhood, so we decided to stop by!” as he answers the door wearing pajamas, slippers, and bed-head.
Dunn signing with Oakland seems highly unlikely given his reported asking price, but the A’s have been linked to Berkman repeatedly throughout the offseason and are clearly looking at various veteran designated hitter options following reports that they may non-tender Jack Cust.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)