UPDATE: A’s met with Lance Berkman, but not Adam Dunn

Dec 1, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT

Adam Dunn swinging

UPDATE: Slusser just posted a few tweets walking back her report about Dunn meeting with the A’s yesterday, including: “I’m told much to my horror that the Chronicle’s report of earlier today that the Athletics met with Dunn is not accurate.”

She stands by the information about the A’s being “in the mix” for Dunn, but the meeting never took place and, as I wrote initially, it’s hard to take Oakland as a realistic landing spot for him either way.

==========

A’s representatives traveled to Houston yesterday to meet with Lance Berkman and while in Texas they also had a separate meeting with Adam Dunn, according to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle.

I’m sure Billy Beane and company had extensive sales pitches prepared for both players, but I prefer to imagine the A’s ringing Dunn’s doorbell and shouting “hey, we were in the neighborhood, so we decided to stop by!” as he answers the door wearing pajamas, slippers, and bed-head.

Dunn signing with Oakland seems highly unlikely given his reported asking price, but the A’s have been linked to Berkman repeatedly throughout the offseason and are clearly looking at various veteran designated hitter options following reports that they may non-tender Jack Cust.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 1, 2010 at 1:49 PM

They could use Dunn’s power, that’s for sure.

• bigharold - Dec 1, 2010 at 1:59 PM

I’d bet that most team could use Dunn’s power.

I wonder if he’s still holding out for an NL job or has he come to realize that his future lay in the AL as a DH?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 1, 2010 at 2:04 PM

No I mean they could REALLY use Dunn’s power. They were in 13th place with 109 home runs last year, second only to Seattle’s 101.

2. scatterbrian - Dec 1, 2010 at 2:01 PM

The A’s are on a smaller budget, but they aren’t destitute. They can afford 4/$60 for Dunn. His willingness to DH and switch leagues are the sticking points here…

3. apbaguy - Dec 1, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Scatter is right, the A’s can “afford” him, though not if Beltre takes their 4 year deal, snicker, snicker.

4. Adam - Dec 1, 2010 at 6:46 PM

If Dunn wants 4 years my guess would be that he’s going to have to go AL. With such a premium on defense recently there’s no way an NL team would give a 31 year old defensive black hole (though he got slightly better I hear) 4 years. More likely he’d get 2, MAYBE 3 from an NL team.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey