Dec 1, 2010, 7:53 PM EDT
Rickie Weeks told Adam McCalvy of MLB.com last month that he’s “open to listening” about a contract extension and during an appearance on WSSP in Milwaukee earlier today, Brewers general manager Doug Melvin confirmed that the club is trying to get something done.
“We’re working on getting Rickie signed. He’s got a new agent, Greg Genske, who is CC Sabathia’s agent, so it’s going to be a lot tougher than his previous agent, [Lon Babby].”
“[Genske] doesn’t respond as quick. But we’ll be working on it.”
Taking a shot at Genske, eh? Off to a nice start, I see.
Weeks has struggled to stay healthy during his career, but managed to appear in a career-high 160 games this past season while batting .269/.366/.464 with 29 homers, 83 RBI and an 830 OPS. The 29-year-old second baseman is arbitration-eligible for the final time this winter before he becomes a free agent after the 2011 season. He earned $2.75 million in 2010.
Melvin has assigned assistant general manager Gord Ash with the responsibility of getting in touch with Genske and gauging his client’s asking price. The Brewers GM hopes to meet with Genske face-to-face at the winter meetings in Orlando next week. While Prince Fielder is still a near lock to test free agency after next season, they have have a much better chance of keeping Weeks for the long haul.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)