Dec 1, 2010, 7:53 PM EDT
Rickie Weeks told Adam McCalvy of MLB.com last month that he’s “open to listening” about a contract extension and during an appearance on WSSP in Milwaukee earlier today, Brewers general manager Doug Melvin confirmed that the club is trying to get something done.
“We’re working on getting Rickie signed. He’s got a new agent, Greg Genske, who is CC Sabathia’s agent, so it’s going to be a lot tougher than his previous agent, [Lon Babby].”
“[Genske] doesn’t respond as quick. But we’ll be working on it.”
Taking a shot at Genske, eh? Off to a nice start, I see.
Weeks has struggled to stay healthy during his career, but managed to appear in a career-high 160 games this past season while batting .269/.366/.464 with 29 homers, 83 RBI and an 830 OPS. The 29-year-old second baseman is arbitration-eligible for the final time this winter before he becomes a free agent after the 2011 season. He earned $2.75 million in 2010.
Melvin has assigned assistant general manager Gord Ash with the responsibility of getting in touch with Genske and gauging his client’s asking price. The Brewers GM hopes to meet with Genske face-to-face at the winter meetings in Orlando next week. While Prince Fielder is still a near lock to test free agency after next season, they have have a much better chance of keeping Weeks for the long haul.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)