Dec 1, 2010, 7:53 PM EST
Rickie Weeks told Adam McCalvy of MLB.com last month that he’s “open to listening” about a contract extension and during an appearance on WSSP in Milwaukee earlier today, Brewers general manager Doug Melvin confirmed that the club is trying to get something done.
“We’re working on getting Rickie signed. He’s got a new agent, Greg Genske, who is CC Sabathia’s agent, so it’s going to be a lot tougher than his previous agent, [Lon Babby].”
“[Genske] doesn’t respond as quick. But we’ll be working on it.”
Taking a shot at Genske, eh? Off to a nice start, I see.
Weeks has struggled to stay healthy during his career, but managed to appear in a career-high 160 games this past season while batting .269/.366/.464 with 29 homers, 83 RBI and an 830 OPS. The 29-year-old second baseman is arbitration-eligible for the final time this winter before he becomes a free agent after the 2011 season. He earned $2.75 million in 2010.
Melvin has assigned assistant general manager Gord Ash with the responsibility of getting in touch with Genske and gauging his client’s asking price. The Brewers GM hopes to meet with Genske face-to-face at the winter meetings in Orlando next week. While Prince Fielder is still a near lock to test free agency after next season, they have have a much better chance of keeping Weeks for the long haul.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)