Dec 1, 2010, 7:53 PM EDT
Rickie Weeks told Adam McCalvy of MLB.com last month that he’s “open to listening” about a contract extension and during an appearance on WSSP in Milwaukee earlier today, Brewers general manager Doug Melvin confirmed that the club is trying to get something done.
“We’re working on getting Rickie signed. He’s got a new agent, Greg Genske, who is CC Sabathia’s agent, so it’s going to be a lot tougher than his previous agent, [Lon Babby].”
“[Genske] doesn’t respond as quick. But we’ll be working on it.”
Taking a shot at Genske, eh? Off to a nice start, I see.
Weeks has struggled to stay healthy during his career, but managed to appear in a career-high 160 games this past season while batting .269/.366/.464 with 29 homers, 83 RBI and an 830 OPS. The 29-year-old second baseman is arbitration-eligible for the final time this winter before he becomes a free agent after the 2011 season. He earned $2.75 million in 2010.
Melvin has assigned assistant general manager Gord Ash with the responsibility of getting in touch with Genske and gauging his client’s asking price. The Brewers GM hopes to meet with Genske face-to-face at the winter meetings in Orlando next week. While Prince Fielder is still a near lock to test free agency after next season, they have have a much better chance of keeping Weeks for the long haul.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 9
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 17
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 79
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 54
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (79)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)