ESPN sets its Sunday Night Baseball booth: Shulman, Hershiser and Valentine

Dec 1, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT

dan shulman espn

This was suspected, but ESPN made it official today: Dan Shulman, Orel Hershiser and Bobby Valentine will be be the new Sunday Night Baseball announcing team.  They replace Jon Miller and Joe Morgan.  Hershiser was the third man last season.

I like Shulman. He’s a solid play by play guy and, most importantly for me, doesn’t act like the stuff happening on the field has never happened before in the history of baseball! Which was one of my only criticisms of Miller, by the way. He didn’t do it often, but sometimes Miller got a wee bit too excited.  I shan’t spend any more words on Joe Morgan because everyone knows what he was all about by now.  I don’t have a terrible problem with Valentine as a studio guy, but I’ve never liked a third guy in a baseball broadcast booth.  I just don’t think there’s enough ground to cover and it leads to chatty awkwardness. Or awkward chattiness. Sometimes both.

All of that said, it’s a good team, and for the first time in a long time, I won’t have to consider the broadcasters as a possible reason for me to tune in or not tune into the Sunday night game.

1. Jonny 5 - Dec 1, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Well, I guess I hit the nail on the head in regards to Bobby V. His teeth require he remains a talking head, and they run the show. Obviously.

2. Andrew - Dec 1, 2010 at 4:09 PM

I’m happy about Shulman and Hershiser, but not Valentine.

3. Utley's Hair - Dec 1, 2010 at 4:21 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Craig, we need to keep the Bobby V rumors alive.

4. themarksmith - Dec 1, 2010 at 4:32 PM

The worst part in all this is that Sciambi is now doing radio with Chris Singleton, who is now the LEAD analyst. Geez-us.

• Kevin S. - Dec 1, 2010 at 7:57 PM

I haven’t heard Singleton do any games, but I’ve never had a problem with his studio work. Is he not good in the booth?

5. bgoochy - Dec 1, 2010 at 4:50 PM

I’m so glad Joe Morgan is gone. He is one of the worst broadcasters to ever call a baseball game.

6. supersnappy - Dec 1, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Congrats to Dan Shulman, who did a great job broadcasting the Blue Jays back in the day. And from previous posts here and elsewhere Hershiser seems like a genuinely nice guy. Up here in Canada we don’t get many ESPN games but I look forward to catching one next year!

7. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Dec 1, 2010 at 11:37 PM

With Bobby Valentine in the booth, viewers will be wishing they had Joe Morgan back before the All-Star break.

• bh0673 - Dec 2, 2010 at 6:11 PM

You have a point, Valentine can be annoying but I will never miss Joe Morgan or Jon Miller. The two of them were terrible. Now I can only hope and pray Fox dumps Buck and McCarver.

It got to the point I would only watch ESPN on Sunday Nights when my local team was playing because at least I could turn on the radio and get the play by play that way despite the time delay it was still better then Morgan and Miller.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate