Dec 1, 2010, 4:47 PM EDT
Managing only a minor-league deal without a 40-man roster spot shows just how far Marte’s stock has plummeted since he ranked among Baseball America‘s top 15 prospects in 2004, 2005, and 2006, but Pittsburgh is as good a place as any to attempt a career resurrection for the 27-year-old.
After all, the Pirates just dropped a former top third base prospect of their own in Andy LaRoche. LaRoche has been a huge bust, but Marte has been one of the biggest busts of the past decade.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)