Dec 1, 2010, 4:47 PM EDT
Managing only a minor-league deal without a 40-man roster spot shows just how far Marte’s stock has plummeted since he ranked among Baseball America‘s top 15 prospects in 2004, 2005, and 2006, but Pittsburgh is as good a place as any to attempt a career resurrection for the 27-year-old.
After all, the Pirates just dropped a former top third base prospect of their own in Andy LaRoche. LaRoche has been a huge bust, but Marte has been one of the biggest busts of the past decade.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)