Dec 1, 2010, 11:31 AM EDT
You’re not going to believe this, but in the wake of the Cardinals trading for a white middle infielder with moderate-at-best skills yesterday, someone has written a column praising him as a scrappy gritty hard worker, complete with a David Eckstein comparison. I’m so shocked that, as we speak, I’m clutching my pearls and hoping my fainting couch is right behind me where I left it.
But how scrappy is Ryan Theriot? Matt Sebek tries to figure it out, and the results may be the all-time best deconstruction of scappiosity ever written. If you think it’s just about being white and otherwise untalented you don’t know what scrappiness truly is. The click is worth it for the chart alone. I don’t literally laugh out loud very often, but Sebek’s column had me laughing out loud. Literally.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)