Dec 1, 2010, 11:31 AM EST
You’re not going to believe this, but in the wake of the Cardinals trading for a white middle infielder with moderate-at-best skills yesterday, someone has written a column praising him as a scrappy gritty hard worker, complete with a David Eckstein comparison. I’m so shocked that, as we speak, I’m clutching my pearls and hoping my fainting couch is right behind me where I left it.
But how scrappy is Ryan Theriot? Matt Sebek tries to figure it out, and the results may be the all-time best deconstruction of scappiosity ever written. If you think it’s just about being white and otherwise untalented you don’t know what scrappiness truly is. The click is worth it for the chart alone. I don’t literally laugh out loud very often, but Sebek’s column had me laughing out loud. Literally.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)