How scrappy is Ryan Theriot?

Dec 1, 2010, 11:31 AM EDT

Los Angeles Dodgers v Colorado Rockies Getty Images

You’re not going to believe this, but in the wake of the Cardinals trading for a white middle infielder with moderate-at-best skills yesterday, someone has written a column praising him as a scrappy gritty hard worker, complete with a David Eckstein comparison. I’m so shocked that, as we speak, I’m clutching my pearls and hoping my fainting couch is right behind me where I left it.

But how scrappy is Ryan Theriot?  Matt Sebek tries to figure it out, and the results may be the all-time best deconstruction of scappiosity ever written.  If you think it’s just about being white and otherwise untalented you don’t know what scrappiness truly is.  The click is worth it for the chart alone. I don’t literally laugh out loud very often, but Sebek’s column had me laughing out loud. Literally.

1. Old Gator - Dec 1, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Freshwater pearls, no doubt.

2. nycbbbacker - Dec 1, 2010 at 11:43 AM

way to support racial comparisons in sports! you dope!!!!!!!

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Dec 1, 2010 at 11:52 AM

It’s a satirical take on what has been stereotyped for decades. Read deeper. Now about that dope.

• wonkypenguin - Dec 1, 2010 at 11:52 AM

I challenge you to find an article about a “scrappy” player who isn’t white. For every one you may find, I can probably find 5 about a white player.

• ThatGuy - Dec 1, 2010 at 11:57 AM

You could find 5 that mention Nick Punto as scrappy for every none white mention of scrappy.

3. BC - Dec 1, 2010 at 11:48 AM

And the Thornton Onyx Sofa by Ashley Furniture, I assume.

4. Jonny 5 - Dec 1, 2010 at 11:50 AM

What is he supposed to do? Say he tries really hard with less results than others who don’t try as hard as he does? That’s not very nice now is it?

5. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Dec 1, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Theriot and Fontenot are both hobbits. Scrappy? Maybe.

6. Jonny 5 - Dec 1, 2010 at 12:17 PM

I blame Scooby Doo’s nephew for all of this.

7. mcsnide - Dec 1, 2010 at 1:00 PM

What’s the cutoff on scrappy? Do you have to kind of suck? Or can you be really good and still be scrappy? For instance, is Pedroia scrappy?

• paperlions - Dec 1, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Yes, Pedroia is scrappy according to the Boston media. The smaller/shorter/whiter you are the scrappier you are regardless of talent level.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5460)