Dec 1, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
No, that’s not parody. That’s the New York Post’s Kevin Kernan:
If the frugal Colorado Rockies can give their shortstop $20 million a season, the cash cow Yankees can do the same for Derek Jeter . . . Yes, Jeter will be 37 next season and Tulowitzki will not turn 36 until October 2020, but Jeter also has five more rings than Tulowitzki. That should count for something.
And as soon as Kernan can tell me how many 2011-2013 wins those five rings will give the Yankees, they will be so counted.
In other news, I follow Kernan on Twitter. We obviously don’t agree on a ton of things, but his normal banter suggests that he’s smarter than this. I believe this is similar red meat to the stuff Dan Shaughnessy was peddling yesterday about the Red Sox doing “inestimable damage to the Yankees psyche.” Not anything they really believe, and not anything that they could defend with a reasoned argument, but rather, the kind of thing they or their editors think the readers want.
And maybe their readers do want that. I don’t know. I hope not. I hope that their readers would appreciate some insight and thought as opposed to “count the rings” and “screw the Yankees” nonsense.
Just do me a favor: if I ever start writing stuff that seems calculated to give you what I think you want instead of what I truly think, please, steer me towards the Old Bloggers Home and let me live out the rest of my days where I can’t do any harm to myself or others.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 0
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 4
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (128)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 MLB Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld