Of course Jeter is worth $20 million! Count the rings!

Dec 1, 2010, 1:00 PM EST

Derek Jeter triple

No, that’s not parody. That’s the New York Post’s Kevin Kernan:

If the frugal Colorado Rockies can give their shortstop $20 million a season, the cash cow Yankees can do the same for Derek Jeter . . . Yes, Jeter will be 37 next season and Tulowitzki will not turn 36 until October 2020, but Jeter also has five more rings than Tulowitzki. That should count for something.
And as soon as Kernan can tell me how many 2011-2013 wins those five rings will give the Yankees, they will be so counted.
In other news, I follow Kernan on Twitter.  We obviously don’t agree on a ton of things, but his normal banter suggests that he’s smarter than this. I believe this is similar red meat to the stuff Dan Shaughnessy was peddling yesterday about the Red Sox doing “inestimable damage to the Yankees psyche.”  Not anything they really believe, and not anything that they could defend with a reasoned argument, but rather, the kind of thing they or their editors think the readers want.
And maybe their readers do want that. I don’t know. I hope not. I hope that their readers would appreciate some insight and thought as opposed to “count the rings” and “screw the Yankees” nonsense.
Just do me a favor: if I ever start writing stuff that seems calculated to give you what I think you want instead of what I truly think, please, steer me towards the Old Bloggers Home and let me live out the rest of my days where I can’t do any harm to myself or others.
  1. Jason @ IIATMS - Dec 1, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Oh sweet jeebus… this Yanks fan (who also likes KKernan) finds this line of logic chokingly stupid and banal.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 1, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Oooh, I know, let’s get Luis Sojo to replace Jeter! We can pay him $20M a year because he has 5 rings too!

• noimadxoc - Dec 2, 2010 at 11:04 AM

LMAO! GOOD CALL! HAHA!

2. largebill - Dec 1, 2010 at 1:13 PM

If he is right about the count the rings thing, then the Yankees should pay Yogi Berra 35 million a year to play shortstop.

3. uyf1950 - Dec 1, 2010 at 1:23 PM

What people seem to be missing in all of this is sure the money is an issue and well it should be. But just as big an issue if not bigger is the years. It’s not rocket science but 37 to 40 year old SS are just not that good on a consistent basis. No matter who they are. Having Jeter as the Yankees SS at those ages especially a year or 2 down the road when there are and will be better players available is suicide for the Yankees. It hampers their ability to win, it’s that simple. Make no mistake about it, individual records by players are nice, icon status is nice but as Vince Lombardi said “winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing.”

4. daninkatonah - Dec 1, 2010 at 1:47 PM

If we were trying to determine his age like a was a California Redwood, then count his rings, otherwise…

5. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 1, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Very slow news day, Craig? Even I think this is too much Jeter for today.

6. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Dec 1, 2010 at 2:37 PM

MORE JETER SEYMOUR! FEED ME!!!!!!

7. jhu1997 - Dec 1, 2010 at 3:39 PM

This is WONDERFUL. I think it’s secretly satire. And the “golden nail” metaphor is brilliant – as a friend of mine said, he’s really expensive and sucks at his job. I think Kernan is in on the joke.

8. yankees1996 - Dec 1, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Jeter has already been paid for the rings he has, therefore he does not have to be paid for them again. However if Jeter can get Doc Brown from back to the future to alter his age to the same as Tulowitzki,then perhaps there is a bigger deal to be struck.

9. bc666 - Dec 1, 2010 at 9:26 PM

He has already been paid $200 million for what he’s done for the team. I thought Jeter had more class than this but oh well. Good luck finding a team to pay him $20 million a year as his skills diminish more and more.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester