Dec 1, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
No, that’s not parody. That’s the New York Post’s Kevin Kernan:
If the frugal Colorado Rockies can give their shortstop $20 million a season, the cash cow Yankees can do the same for Derek Jeter . . . Yes, Jeter will be 37 next season and Tulowitzki will not turn 36 until October 2020, but Jeter also has five more rings than Tulowitzki. That should count for something.
And as soon as Kernan can tell me how many 2011-2013 wins those five rings will give the Yankees, they will be so counted.
In other news, I follow Kernan on Twitter. We obviously don’t agree on a ton of things, but his normal banter suggests that he’s smarter than this. I believe this is similar red meat to the stuff Dan Shaughnessy was peddling yesterday about the Red Sox doing “inestimable damage to the Yankees psyche.” Not anything they really believe, and not anything that they could defend with a reasoned argument, but rather, the kind of thing they or their editors think the readers want.
And maybe their readers do want that. I don’t know. I hope not. I hope that their readers would appreciate some insight and thought as opposed to “count the rings” and “screw the Yankees” nonsense.
Just do me a favor: if I ever start writing stuff that seems calculated to give you what I think you want instead of what I truly think, please, steer me towards the Old Bloggers Home and let me live out the rest of my days where I can’t do any harm to myself or others.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 MLB Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld