Dec 1, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
No, that’s not parody. That’s the New York Post’s Kevin Kernan:
If the frugal Colorado Rockies can give their shortstop $20 million a season, the cash cow Yankees can do the same for Derek Jeter . . . Yes, Jeter will be 37 next season and Tulowitzki will not turn 36 until October 2020, but Jeter also has five more rings than Tulowitzki. That should count for something.
And as soon as Kernan can tell me how many 2011-2013 wins those five rings will give the Yankees, they will be so counted.
In other news, I follow Kernan on Twitter. We obviously don’t agree on a ton of things, but his normal banter suggests that he’s smarter than this. I believe this is similar red meat to the stuff Dan Shaughnessy was peddling yesterday about the Red Sox doing “inestimable damage to the Yankees psyche.” Not anything they really believe, and not anything that they could defend with a reasoned argument, but rather, the kind of thing they or their editors think the readers want.
And maybe their readers do want that. I don’t know. I hope not. I hope that their readers would appreciate some insight and thought as opposed to “count the rings” and “screw the Yankees” nonsense.
Just do me a favor: if I ever start writing stuff that seems calculated to give you what I think you want instead of what I truly think, please, steer me towards the Old Bloggers Home and let me live out the rest of my days where I can’t do any harm to myself or others.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 146
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 51
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 55
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 MLB Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld