Dec 1, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
No, that’s not parody. That’s the New York Post’s Kevin Kernan:
If the frugal Colorado Rockies can give their shortstop $20 million a season, the cash cow Yankees can do the same for Derek Jeter . . . Yes, Jeter will be 37 next season and Tulowitzki will not turn 36 until October 2020, but Jeter also has five more rings than Tulowitzki. That should count for something.
And as soon as Kernan can tell me how many 2011-2013 wins those five rings will give the Yankees, they will be so counted.
In other news, I follow Kernan on Twitter. We obviously don’t agree on a ton of things, but his normal banter suggests that he’s smarter than this. I believe this is similar red meat to the stuff Dan Shaughnessy was peddling yesterday about the Red Sox doing “inestimable damage to the Yankees psyche.” Not anything they really believe, and not anything that they could defend with a reasoned argument, but rather, the kind of thing they or their editors think the readers want.
And maybe their readers do want that. I don’t know. I hope not. I hope that their readers would appreciate some insight and thought as opposed to “count the rings” and “screw the Yankees” nonsense.
Just do me a favor: if I ever start writing stuff that seems calculated to give you what I think you want instead of what I truly think, please, steer me towards the Old Bloggers Home and let me live out the rest of my days where I can’t do any harm to myself or others.
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 0
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 21
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 11
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (91)
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 MLB Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld