Dec 1, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
No, that’s not parody. That’s the New York Post’s Kevin Kernan:
If the frugal Colorado Rockies can give their shortstop $20 million a season, the cash cow Yankees can do the same for Derek Jeter . . . Yes, Jeter will be 37 next season and Tulowitzki will not turn 36 until October 2020, but Jeter also has five more rings than Tulowitzki. That should count for something.
And as soon as Kernan can tell me how many 2011-2013 wins those five rings will give the Yankees, they will be so counted.
In other news, I follow Kernan on Twitter. We obviously don’t agree on a ton of things, but his normal banter suggests that he’s smarter than this. I believe this is similar red meat to the stuff Dan Shaughnessy was peddling yesterday about the Red Sox doing “inestimable damage to the Yankees psyche.” Not anything they really believe, and not anything that they could defend with a reasoned argument, but rather, the kind of thing they or their editors think the readers want.
And maybe their readers do want that. I don’t know. I hope not. I hope that their readers would appreciate some insight and thought as opposed to “count the rings” and “screw the Yankees” nonsense.
Just do me a favor: if I ever start writing stuff that seems calculated to give you what I think you want instead of what I truly think, please, steer me towards the Old Bloggers Home and let me live out the rest of my days where I can’t do any harm to myself or others.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 MLB Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld