Pablo Sandoval has lost ten pounds? I’ll believe it when I see it

Dec 1, 2010, 8:22 AM EDT

Giants' Sandoval reacts during workouts in preparation for the Major League Baseball's World Series in San Francisco

Last year I closely followed Camp Panda, Pablo Sandoval’s allegedly intense workout regimen that was intended to get the portly young superstar in shape.  That didn’t happen.  Sandoval reported to spring training in more or less the same shape he had been in in 2009 and got larger as the season progressed, ultimately losing his starting job. Which worked out fine for the Giants, of course, because with him on the defacto DL (15 days; gravy), Juan Uribe moved to third, Edgar Renteria returned to shortstop and they carried the team to the title.

And while yesterday’s signing of Miguel Tejada was occasioned by reports that Sandoval will be the Giants starting third baseman, you can bet that Bruce Bochy is more than willing to slide Tejada over to third and find a cheap glove man for short in the event that Sandoval, once again, fails to do the one thing completely within his control: report for duty in shape to play baseball.

You can bet that Sandoval’s agent is well-aware that Miguel Tejada can play third base. Because last night, soon after the news broke, he or someone close to him told Andrew Baggarly of the Mercury News that Sandoval has lost ten pounds so far this offseason.

I’m off the Camp Panda beat this winter because last year it was a dud. As such, I will merely pass along reports of Sandoval’s weight loss rather than dwell on them.  Good for him if he’s lost the weight.  Forgive me, however, if I don’t get excited about it until a relatively thin version of the man shows up for camp in Arizona in February.

1. lessick - Dec 1, 2010 at 8:45 AM

To paraphrase the late great Al McGuire, isn’t Sandoval losing ten pounds like a deck chair blowing off the Queen Mary?

2. Jonny 5 - Dec 1, 2010 at 9:00 AM

He did lose ten pounds. He finally passed that turkey he ate last week.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 1, 2010 at 1:39 PM

He didn’t lose the 10 pounds—he just can’t see it due to shifting sight lines.

3. xpensivewinos - Dec 1, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Seems to me that the word “superstar” got tossed around rather lightly at the beginning of this post.

Good, fun, likable young player, but a “superstar?” Not yet by any stretch of the imagination…….

4. fquaye149 - Dec 1, 2010 at 9:48 AM

I don’t know Craig…sounds like he’s in the best shape of his life!

5. BC - Dec 1, 2010 at 10:12 AM

I lost 10 pounds too. But it found me.

6. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 1, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Let’s not forget Mark DeRosa’s still hanging around in some capacity, too.

7. seattlej - Dec 1, 2010 at 11:48 AM

It’s in preparation for the 25 he’s going to put on over xmas…

8. Jonny 5 - Dec 1, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Man, I keep looking at that picture, and i can’t help but think to myself…. ” Happier than a pig in sh!t” E.B. White foretold the story, but who’s going to be his Charlotte?

9. yankees1996 - Dec 1, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Yea, in the case of the Panda seeing is most certainly going to be believing.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3350)