Dec 1, 2010, 3:15 PM EST
With tomorrow night’s deadline for teams to tender 2011 contracts to arbitration-eligible players looming, Chris Denorfia and the Padres have avoided the process by agreeing to a one-year deal worth $800,000.
Signed last December after being let go by the A’s following a miserable Triple-A performance, Denorfia earned a mid-May call-up to San Diego and then hit .271 with a .335 on-base percentage and .433 slugging percentage in 99 games for the Padres.
He’s likely to serve as San Diego’s fourth outfielder in 2011 following the team’s trade for Cameron Maybin last month, and Corey Brock of MLB.com reports that the Padres are likely to non-tender fellow arbitration-eligible bench candidates Tony Gwynn Jr. and Scott Hairston.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 284
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (285)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)