Dec 1, 2010, 11:38 PM EDT
You know what 11 strikeouts in 13 World Series at-bats will get you? A new one-year contract, apparently.
According to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News, the Giants have re-signed Pat Burrell to a “discounted, one-year contract,” pending a physical.
To be fair, while Burrell was all sorts of awful during the postseason, he batted .266/.364/.509 with 18 home runs, 51 RBI and an 872 OPS over 289 at-bats after the Rays gave up on him in May. He was a legitimate middle-of-the-order presence for the Giants during the second half of the season, slugging 13 home runs in 198 at-bats.
You can certainly make the case that Burrell deserves a chance at a repeat, but it’s worth noting that the Giants’ lineup is looking really, really old at the moment. By Opening Day next season, Andres Torres and Freddy Sanchez will be 33, Burrell and Aubrey Huff will be 34 and Mark DeRosa and the newly-signed Miguel Tejada will be 36. Giants fans should hope that top prospect Brandon Belt tears the cover off the ball during spring training. Of course, Brian Sabean will probably find some reason to leave him in the minor leagues until around Memorial Day.
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 4
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 88
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 55
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)