Dec 1, 2010, 10:29 PM EST
UPDATE: OK, so maybe the previous report was a little premature. Troy Renck of the Denver Post writes that there’s nothing imminent with Lance Berkman, but adds that the Rockies have a “real shot” at signing him.
8:19 PM: Didn’t see this one coming.
The Rockies are close to a deal with free agent Lance Berkman, according to a tweet by Troy Renck of the Denver Post.
Berkman, who turns 35 in February, told Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com last week that he still feels that he is capable of playing first base and the outfield. Still, it’s hard to see Colorado as a great fit for him. Berkman hasn’t played the outfield since 2007 and he would likely be part of a timeshare with Todd Helton at first base.
Renck has since expanded on his original tweet by saying that the Rockies have made an “aggressive push” for Berkman, but adds that it’s all in the player’s hands. We know that there are multiple teams in the mix — with the A’s reportedly being the “most aggressive” — so it’s no sure thing he’s Colorado-bound.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (220)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)