Dec 1, 2010, 10:29 PM EDT
UPDATE: OK, so maybe the previous report was a little premature. Troy Renck of the Denver Post writes that there’s nothing imminent with Lance Berkman, but adds that the Rockies have a “real shot” at signing him.
8:19 PM: Didn’t see this one coming.
The Rockies are close to a deal with free agent Lance Berkman, according to a tweet by Troy Renck of the Denver Post.
Berkman, who turns 35 in February, told Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com last week that he still feels that he is capable of playing first base and the outfield. Still, it’s hard to see Colorado as a great fit for him. Berkman hasn’t played the outfield since 2007 and he would likely be part of a timeshare with Todd Helton at first base.
Renck has since expanded on his original tweet by saying that the Rockies have made an “aggressive push” for Berkman, but adds that it’s all in the player’s hands. We know that there are multiple teams in the mix — with the A’s reportedly being the “most aggressive” — so it’s no sure thing he’s Colorado-bound.
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 15
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 14
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 36
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 21
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)