Dec 1, 2010, 10:29 PM EDT
UPDATE: OK, so maybe the previous report was a little premature. Troy Renck of the Denver Post writes that there’s nothing imminent with Lance Berkman, but adds that the Rockies have a “real shot” at signing him.
8:19 PM: Didn’t see this one coming.
The Rockies are close to a deal with free agent Lance Berkman, according to a tweet by Troy Renck of the Denver Post.
Berkman, who turns 35 in February, told Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com last week that he still feels that he is capable of playing first base and the outfield. Still, it’s hard to see Colorado as a great fit for him. Berkman hasn’t played the outfield since 2007 and he would likely be part of a timeshare with Todd Helton at first base.
Renck has since expanded on his original tweet by saying that the Rockies have made an “aggressive push” for Berkman, but adds that it’s all in the player’s hands. We know that there are multiple teams in the mix — with the A’s reportedly being the “most aggressive” — so it’s no sure thing he’s Colorado-bound.
- Carlos Carrasco loses no-hitter with one out to go vs. Rays 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 7
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 30
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 47
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 69
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)