Dec 1, 2010, 10:29 PM EST
UPDATE: OK, so maybe the previous report was a little premature. Troy Renck of the Denver Post writes that there’s nothing imminent with Lance Berkman, but adds that the Rockies have a “real shot” at signing him.
8:19 PM: Didn’t see this one coming.
The Rockies are close to a deal with free agent Lance Berkman, according to a tweet by Troy Renck of the Denver Post.
Berkman, who turns 35 in February, told Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com last week that he still feels that he is capable of playing first base and the outfield. Still, it’s hard to see Colorado as a great fit for him. Berkman hasn’t played the outfield since 2007 and he would likely be part of a timeshare with Todd Helton at first base.
Renck has since expanded on his original tweet by saying that the Rockies have made an “aggressive push” for Berkman, but adds that it’s all in the player’s hands. We know that there are multiple teams in the mix — with the A’s reportedly being the “most aggressive” — so it’s no sure thing he’s Colorado-bound.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)