Dec 1, 2010, 10:48 AM EDT
Troy Glaus finished the season in a horrible slump, going from the Braves’ starting first baseman to completely out of the team’s plans, so predictably there’s been little reported interest in him as a free agent.
However, according to Troy Renck of the Denver Post the Rockies may have some interest in Glaus as “a right-handed version of Jason Giambi” who would “play a little first base and pinch-hit.”
Giambi filled that role for the Rockies this season, but wasn’t an ideal fit to back up Todd Helton because they’re both left-handed hitters. Glaus would offer a right-handed bat to back up Helton and his ability to at least serve as an emergency option at third base would also give the Rockies some added flexibility over Giambi.
Whether or not Glaus can still make a positive impact in even a part-time role is another question. He signed a one-year contract with the Braves after sitting out nearly all of 2009 due to a shoulder injury and got off to a strong start, hitting .280 with an .874 OPS and 14 homers through his first 70 games.
Glaus then went 39 consecutive games without homering and batted .183 with a .557 OPS overall in 58 games after June 20, finishing the season with a .240 batting average, .340 on-base percentage, and .400 slugging percentage in 483 plate appearances. Even that modest season line would make him somewhat useful as a backup to Helton who could be spotted primarily against left-handed pitching and the Rockies seem like a good fit considering how little interest there figures to be elsewhere.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)