Dec 1, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
It’s a minor league deal with an invite to camp, paying him $675,000. Given the way he raked in limited play in Portland last year — .324/.390/.556 — he’s definitely worth a shot. Worst case, you let him go. Best case: he turns into Carlos Pena redux: a guy who everyone thought could put it together some day, didn’t for a long time, and then finally figured it out later.
I don’t know that I’d bet on it — Carlo Pena always had good plate discipline in his favor whereas Wily Mo doesn’t — but it’s a low risk, high upside proposition. And he has a better shot at helping his team than Andy Marte does, I’d wager.
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 20
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 44
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 101
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 59