Dec 1, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
It’s a minor league deal with an invite to camp, paying him $675,000. Given the way he raked in limited play in Portland last year — .324/.390/.556 — he’s definitely worth a shot. Worst case, you let him go. Best case: he turns into Carlos Pena redux: a guy who everyone thought could put it together some day, didn’t for a long time, and then finally figured it out later.
I don’t know that I’d bet on it — Carlo Pena always had good plate discipline in his favor whereas Wily Mo doesn’t — but it’s a low risk, high upside proposition. And he has a better shot at helping his team than Andy Marte does, I’d wager.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)