The Red Sox are meeting with Carl Crawford today

Dec 1, 2010, 4:30 PM EST

Carl Crawford, Raul Chavez

Tim Brown of Yahoo! reports that the Red Sox are in Houston meeting with Carl Crawford’s people today.

Am I the only one who had it in his head that the Sox and Angels were going to honor some sort of gentleman’s agreement in which the former signed Jayson Werth and the latter got Crawford?  Oh, I am huh?  Well then . . .

Either way I like Crawford, as a player, better than Werth.  I assume, though, that Crawford will take a longer commitment (even if it’s not as long as what he’d like).  The Sox can absorb that, of course.  Question is, do they want to.  And, will they have a similar meeting with Werth next week, say, in order to play the two off one another.

1. aschwartz2011 - Dec 1, 2010 at 4:40 PM

I really don’t get why Crawford and Werth are being compared so much. Crawford is just better. Period.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 1, 2010 at 4:45 PM

They’re both great OF’s and both free agents. Both are highly desireable to any team regardless of which one is better or not. Shoot some teams will prefer Werth because he won’t cost as much. Ya know some people get a Toyota instead of a Lexus. Like that.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 1, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Jason Werth’s agent may disagree with you.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 1, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Yeah—Scott Boras might rather have a Porsche.

• Ari Collins - Dec 1, 2010 at 5:21 PM

I’d rather have Werth than Crawford, frankly. I don’t think it’ll be that long until Crawford’s no longer a .300 hitter, and if he hits .280 he’ll only be OBP-ing .315 or so. Yeah, he brings a LOT of baserunning and defense to the table, but Werth is no defensive slouch either, and he can also play RF. And at the plate, there’s no comparison.

When you consider you’ll be giving Werth two years less (seems the consensus) and a few million less each year, it’s a no-brainer, to me.

2. Jonny 5 - Dec 1, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Just tear out my heart and kick it through the door why don’t you? Brown isn’t looking good AT ALL, hopefully this kicks Amaro in the a$$ to keep Werth.

3. frankvzappa - Dec 1, 2010 at 8:16 PM

get it done theo…ill drink some champagne to news of that signing!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester