The Yankees may go up to $51 million on Jeter; add a fourth year option

Dec 1, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT

New York Yankees v Texas Rangers, Game 6 Getty Images

As was reported last night, Jeter and the Yankees spoke again yesterday and things went well.

Afterwards, Jon Heyman reported that, while there is nothing imminent, the Yankees may be willing to go up to $51 million over three years and to possibly add a fourth year in the form of an option. Moshe Mandel of TYU had received similar word from a source prior to Heyman’s report.

All of which fits nicely into the scenario I outlined yesterday: a negotiation more geared towards giving Jeter a face-saving way to accept a contract much closer to that which the Yankees were offering than it is to his reported demands.  $51 million is still high in my mind, but when the gulf between the sides was $65 million or more, $6 million is not exactly a generous concession by the Yankees. A fourth year in and of itself is not smart, but if it’s an option of some kind — especially if it’s a team option or a vesting option — it’s far preferable, and ultimately not much for the team to give up.

But however this shakes out, a face-to-face meeting followed by a report reflecting calmness and (so far) no incendiary leaks to the media suggests that Jeter and the Yankees have started fresh, with an eye towards restoring sanity to the process.

And that’s good news for everyone except the bloggers.

1. yankeesfanlen - Dec 1, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Throw a little money at it, make the problem go away (or,in this case, stay).Somehow I feel like we’ve just put a new transmission in a 2003 Pontiac.

• paperlions - Dec 1, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Two years ago I rebuilt the transmission in a 1991 Chevy S10 pickup. The thing still runs like a top. But then, I’m sure I got a much better deal than the Yankees are going to get.

2. uyf1950 - Dec 1, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Guys that’s almost identical to what I’ve been saying for a while now. In case the Yankees are interested I’m available for Asst. GM position.

• pisano - Dec 1, 2010 at 11:38 PM

To uyf1950… If I’m not mistaken that’s exactly the #’s you stated. I still don’t understand why the Yankees would bid against themselves. Hell, no one has come forward to even talk to Jeter about the 3yrs. @ 45 mil. I’m going to resign myself to realize Jeter will be back. As much as I don’t want to see him or Posada come back (because of their ages) it looks like they’ll both be back .

3. nesuperfan - Dec 1, 2010 at 9:55 AM

You guys in NY may not like him very much, but the Yankees should follow the ways of Bill Belichek: No emotion. Don’t overpay for anyone, and if Jeter walks, so be it. He is not worth even the original offer of $15 million a year. He was average last year and getting older.

• dsims7 - Dec 1, 2010 at 10:21 AM

I have said this on every blog and post the last few weeks. I would give him $10M (just because NY likes him) or tell him to walk. His age and numbers would not get him $6 to $8 anywhere else.

4. Jonny 5 - Dec 1, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Too funny 17 per for 3. And Craig you may have some more reader dissent here because.

“$6 million is not exactly a generous concession by the Yankees.”

I kinda thought 15 per for 3 years was a very generous concession to begin with, then to add another 6 is like super duper uber generous of them imo. And if I’m going to use the word “uber” which I hate, you know the extent to which I feel their generosity extended. Too far. But then again, I don’t seem to value players the same way teams do, even though I was expecting 17 per for 3 as well (with no option year), I still don’t think it’s a possibility they’ll get the production they paid for.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Dec 1, 2010 at 10:23 AM

But the Yankees will have plenty of sparkles and fairy dust.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 1, 2010 at 10:29 AM

That’s just stripper glitter. Or maybe Foxy Boxer glitter????

5. BC - Dec 1, 2010 at 10:22 AM

It’s actually ending up about where I thought. Depends what type of option it is for the 4th year…. vesting or team. The scary thing is that it saves them about $5mil per year over what they were paying Jeter before, which they can use elsewhere.

6. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 1, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Why oh why do the Yankees insist on bidding against themselves? I swear, between this soon-to-be new contract and A-Rod’s deal, this team will have ended up overpaying more than $100 million to the two of them.

• uyf1950 - Dec 1, 2010 at 11:04 AM

I wouldn’t exactly say $2M more per is bidding against yourself. I would call it “negotiating”. It’s a face saving option for Jeter. The slight increase and make no mistake it is a slight increase also serves as a message to the “other” Yankee players current & future. We (the Yankees ownership) will only go so far in what we believe the value of a player to be, and that’s not a bad thing.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 1, 2010 at 11:05 AM

I’m not talking about the difference between 3/$45 and 3/$51. I’m talking about the difference between the 3/$45 and the 3/$12 he’s really worth.

7. dsims7 - Dec 1, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Seriously, Look at the fact’s. If they let him go, he will not get $10M a year. Not even close! His is 38, his numbers are average, and his range sucks! As a Free Agent, he would be lucky to get $6M a year (and 3 years is a shot!) from any team. Again, not a fan, but the Yankees could spend this money more wisely. Just me.

8. thinman61 - Dec 1, 2010 at 11:29 AM

The Yankees don’t need to spend money more wisely. They’re the Yankees. They always get who they want, because their deep pockets allow them to eat the back end of a bad contract without it killing them.

9. Sean - Dec 1, 2010 at 11:39 AM

A youTube video imagined the negotiations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz0CrpARs1c

10. yankees1996 - Dec 1, 2010 at 12:32 PM

I still believe the original offer was more than fair and most certainly qualified as overpayment, but the 4 year $51 million contract is within the range that most people believed things were going to wind up at. To all you people that say the Yankees are still the Yankees and they have plenty of money to throw around, you are mistaken. These Yankees being run by Hal and Hank are very different from the Yankees that were run by their father. The Yankees still have the capital to go out and get the things that they feel they need but the hard line the Yankees now seem to be adopting toward their older players is long overdue in my opinion. Seeing the Yankees starting to exercise some fiscal responsibility in the area of aging veterans is a good idea, and to be honest with you this policy would probably have been farther along than it is now if Buck Showalter had been around longer than he was!

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3389)