Yikes: Carl Crawford wants eight years

Dec 1, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT

carl crawford rays

Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald reports that Carl Crawford is seeking a deal of at least eight years.

Eeek. My general impression of Carl Crawford: free agent was that just about any deal for him would look pretty good for the first four years but would get a bit ugly in years five and six, if it was a six year deal he was after.  Eight?  That could be ugly stuff. I mean, yes, he’s coming off his best season at the plate so far, but Crawford turns 30 next season.  Do we really think that he’ll be worth $20 million a year or whatever it he gets at age 37 in 2018?  Maybe he’s the next Rickey Henderson and can make it work. But no one is ever wise to bet on anyone being as rare a talent as Rickey Henderson was.

Someone may do it — the Angels and Red Sox are both apparently desperate for outfield help — but I can’t say it would be a great idea to do so.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 1, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Why does every player want to be signed through America’s retirement age now? This is insane!

Only 1 outfielder was ever worth this; Manny. And as a Cub fan, I can’t flipping wait until Alfonso Soriano’s generation-long contract is extinct.

2. BC - Dec 1, 2010 at 12:42 PM

He’s high. Six years tops, maybe five, for a kajillion dollars a year. Then when his legs go, he’s someone else’s problem.

3. Jonny 5 - Dec 1, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Just being able to picture Craig going “Eeek!” as if a mouse was running underfoot makes this the best post of the day!! With that said, raise your hand if you think anyone gives him more than 6 years. I don’t think Crawford or Werth will get anywhere near 8 years. That’s just silly.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 1, 2010 at 12:58 PM

My guesses:

Crawford: 6 years, $125M.

Werth: 4 years, $67M.

Personally, I think Jason Bay is reason enough to be wary of big FA OF deals.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 1, 2010 at 1:26 PM

That’s about right n my estimation, but I do see Werth getting a bit more than your estimate in $ and maybe 5 years. If he wants to be a nice guy and stay in Philly though, I’d say you’re very close on Werth, but someone will top that i think. And i don’t think Philly will go that high.

• BC - Dec 1, 2010 at 1:59 PM

I second the motion!

• Jonny 5 - Dec 1, 2010 at 4:02 PM

I bet you do. I bet you do…… :P

4. Kevin S. - Dec 1, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Wanting is not getting. Crawford’s welcome to set the bar high, just like Jeter was, and unlike Jeter he might actually get somebody willing to bid somewhere in that ballpark and won’t wind up looking like a tool. We’ll see what happens, of course, but I’m not particularly offended or bemused by one of the top players on the market shooting for the moon.

5. bloodysock - Dec 1, 2010 at 1:04 PM

8 years? Good luck.

Although Colorado seems to be signing and spending like a sailor on shore leave and might be willing to sign him to a deal of that length.

6. merkleboner - Dec 1, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Do you guys not understand what anchoring is? Do you know how to haggle? You act so surprised when these guys make crazy demands, but you don’t realize that without these demands they’d be making way less for fewer years than they would have gotten without them.

Social psychology BOOM

• paperlions - Dec 1, 2010 at 1:39 PM

We do. The problem is that if a guy starts out asking for something outrageous, like 8 years, teams will move on and soon you’ll be looking at a very restricted market because many teams will fill their need with other players, resulting in a loss of leverage.
      It is much more effective to not say what you want, field offers and start a bidding war. In this fashion, you maintain maximum leverage and only lose suitors as the bidding outstrips their resources.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 1, 2010 at 1:52 PM

What’s a Merkleboner?

• ta192 - Dec 1, 2010 at 4:11 PM

You’re kidding, right?

• Jonny 5 - Dec 1, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Pretty much. I do that. You either love it or hate it you know? And i’m totally jealous of his vastly superior screen name. I wish I put more thought into mine actually. Oh well…

• ta192 - Dec 1, 2010 at 4:59 PM

That’s cool. Kinda figured you’d have to know what it was to be comfortable pretending you didn’t. Gotta agree on the screen name envy, there are a few I wish I’d thought of, too.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3823)