Dec 1, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald reports that Carl Crawford is seeking a deal of at least eight years.
Eeek. My general impression of Carl Crawford: free agent was that just about any deal for him would look pretty good for the first four years but would get a bit ugly in years five and six, if it was a six year deal he was after. Eight? That could be ugly stuff. I mean, yes, he’s coming off his best season at the plate so far, but Crawford turns 30 next season. Do we really think that he’ll be worth $20 million a year or whatever it he gets at age 37 in 2018? Maybe he’s the next Rickey Henderson and can make it work. But no one is ever wise to bet on anyone being as rare a talent as Rickey Henderson was.
Someone may do it — the Angels and Red Sox are both apparently desperate for outfield help — but I can’t say it would be a great idea to do so.
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 0
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 43
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 11
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 97
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (97)