Dec 1, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald reports that Carl Crawford is seeking a deal of at least eight years.
Eeek. My general impression of Carl Crawford: free agent was that just about any deal for him would look pretty good for the first four years but would get a bit ugly in years five and six, if it was a six year deal he was after. Eight? That could be ugly stuff. I mean, yes, he’s coming off his best season at the plate so far, but Crawford turns 30 next season. Do we really think that he’ll be worth $20 million a year or whatever it he gets at age 37 in 2018? Maybe he’s the next Rickey Henderson and can make it work. But no one is ever wise to bet on anyone being as rare a talent as Rickey Henderson was.
Someone may do it — the Angels and Red Sox are both apparently desperate for outfield help — but I can’t say it would be a great idea to do so.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (104)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)