Dec 1, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald reports that Carl Crawford is seeking a deal of at least eight years.
Eeek. My general impression of Carl Crawford: free agent was that just about any deal for him would look pretty good for the first four years but would get a bit ugly in years five and six, if it was a six year deal he was after. Eight? That could be ugly stuff. I mean, yes, he’s coming off his best season at the plate so far, but Crawford turns 30 next season. Do we really think that he’ll be worth $20 million a year or whatever it he gets at age 37 in 2018? Maybe he’s the next Rickey Henderson and can make it work. But no one is ever wise to bet on anyone being as rare a talent as Rickey Henderson was.
Someone may do it — the Angels and Red Sox are both apparently desperate for outfield help — but I can’t say it would be a great idea to do so.
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 7
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 18
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)