Dec 1, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald reports that Carl Crawford is seeking a deal of at least eight years.
Eeek. My general impression of Carl Crawford: free agent was that just about any deal for him would look pretty good for the first four years but would get a bit ugly in years five and six, if it was a six year deal he was after. Eight? That could be ugly stuff. I mean, yes, he’s coming off his best season at the plate so far, but Crawford turns 30 next season. Do we really think that he’ll be worth $20 million a year or whatever it he gets at age 37 in 2018? Maybe he’s the next Rickey Henderson and can make it work. But no one is ever wise to bet on anyone being as rare a talent as Rickey Henderson was.
Someone may do it — the Angels and Red Sox are both apparently desperate for outfield help — but I can’t say it would be a great idea to do so.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 32
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 42
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 23
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 140
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 139
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (140)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (138)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)