And now for a wildly implausible Adrian Beltre rumor

Dec 2, 2010, 1:29 PM EDT

Adrian Beltre

Hold your nose for this one:

Jayson Stark is reporting that “officials of two clubs monitoring Adrian Beltre’s negotiations” believe that Adrian Beltre could sign with the Oakland A’s quickly, possibly as soon as today.  Why the rush?  Well, there’s an offer out there, see, and the A’s have two other third baseman in Kevin Kouzamanoff and Edwin Encarnacion to whom they have to decide to tender contracts or not sometime today. That would make it plausible that the Beltre offer will expire today if he doesn’t take it.  Throw in some “Beltre prefers the west coast” stuff and voila you got a rumor.

I like me some Jayson Stark, but he needs to find a new set of rival executives to talk to. I mean, ask yourself:  on what planet does Scott Boras respond pliantly to a team basically saying “look, we have to decide whether or not to tender contracts to Kouzmanoff and Encarnacion by today, see, so you and your guy had best make up your minds by midnight, OK? You know my number.”  Especially when he doesn’t even have offers in hand from the Red Sox yet. If anything, an offer with that kind of thing hanging over it would probably cause Boras to hold out on it until March on general principle. He just doesn’t play that game.

And if Beltre did sign under such circumstances? Without the Red Sox getting in on the game yet? Well, then, one wonders why Boras is his agent anyway. You hire Boras to drive the bus, not to be driven by Billy Beane and not so you can get a geographically-based deal of convenience.

Maybe I’m just crazy here, and if I am, and Beltre signs with the A’s in the next couple of days I’ll dedicate an apology post to Stark and his rival execs.  I just don’t think I’ll have to, ya know?

1. seattlej - Dec 2, 2010 at 1:46 PM

I wouldn’t be shocked if it happened. It all comes down to the money with him. I can’t think of the the specific example, but I’m pretty sure he’s accepted arbitration offers with some of his clients in the past. If he thinks that this is the best he’s going to get, I’m sure he’ll take it. Though, as we saw with Damon, even Boras is not infallible when it comes to reading the market.

• Adam - Dec 2, 2010 at 4:44 PM

“It all comes down to the money with him.”

Give me a break. What do you want the guy to do, turn down extra millions of dollars if he’s offered a contract by another team? Do you want Beltre to go back to Seattle at the minimum because you feel slighted that he left via free agency? Heck, why doesn’t he go back to the Dodgers, where he started?

I can’t imagine what would cause a guy to try and get the most money he can from his employer. It’s so un-American.

As for Damon, the Yankees offered 2 years, 14 million. He signed a 1 year, 8 million dollar contract with Detroit. Want to see if he makes at least 6 million in the off season? I wouldn’t be surprised if Boras got that.

2. Ari Collins - Dec 2, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Want another weird one? Some guy on the sabermetric Sons of Sam Horn board said his brother saw Theo, Francona, and Werth at O’Hare airport. Talk about hearsay, but, it’s something, isn’t it? Unless it isn’t something. It’s actually quite likely to be nothing, huh.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 2, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Hah, what? What would Werth and the BoSox be doing in Chicago? Layover maybe?

3. rsnorth - Dec 2, 2010 at 2:21 PM

The Red Sox meeting Werth and Boras in Chicago has been confirmed by a couple of sources.
    Who would you rather have? Werth, couple of years older but shorter contract and asking price or Crawford, at 29?

• Ari Collins - Dec 2, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Werth, to me. Couple years older, but couple years shorter contract, which (IMO) more than makes up for it, since you’ve got more flexibility and, with the lower AAV, a lot less money invested. Plus, I’d bet on Werth keeping that offensive level over Crawford keeping that defensive/speed level as they age. Plus plus, a RH bat makes more sense in an overall left-handed OF.

• rsnorth - Dec 2, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Good analysis. I agree.

4. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 2, 2010 at 2:24 PM

The A’s are probably, if anything, trying to put pressure on Beltre. Which, I agree, won’t work.

5. Ari Collins - Dec 2, 2010 at 2:38 PM

As to the actual Beltre rumor, yeah, I don’t see Boras saying, “Okay, I’m going to go with your deal. I mean, Kouzmanoff and Encarnacion would definitely keep you from getting Beltre, that makes sense. And I’m sure I don’t need to see if Boston or Anaheim would match or exceed that offer.”

6. xpensivewinos - Dec 2, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Well, we know how awesome Beltre was the last time he came off a career year and then signed a HUUUUUUUUUUGE contract. He put up hall of fame numbers in Seattle.

Oh wait, no he didn’t. He completely sucked ass his entire time there.

Red Sox, please move on…… Put Youkilis back at third and do the easiest thing in baseball, find a first basemen who can hit.

• Ari Collins - Dec 2, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Oh, you mean the contract where he was above average every single year, even when hurt and despite hitting in one of the worst parks possible for a RH hitter? And put up a couple 4- and 5-win seasons in the middle?

• Adam - Dec 2, 2010 at 4:46 PM

And he played with an exploded testicle. What more do you want?

7. jeremysgordon - Dec 2, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Maybe I’m just crazy here, and if I am, and Beltre signs with the A’s in the next couple of days I’ll dedicate an apology post to Stark and his rival execs. I just don’t think I’ll have to, ya know?

and if Beltre’s really about to sign, you’ll hear it straight from Boras errr Heyman’s mouth first, not Stark’s.

8. thinman61 - Dec 2, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Susan Slusser says to get that apology ready, Craig.

• Ari Collins - Dec 2, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Is she confirming?

• Ari Collins - Dec 2, 2010 at 7:35 PM

I see she is!: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/40480722/ns/sports-player_news/

As a Sox fan and a HUGE Beltre fan, I’m hoping Boston tops it.

All the trade deadline news to know