Dec 2, 2010, 1:29 PM EDT
Hold your nose for this one:
Jayson Stark is reporting that “officials of two clubs monitoring Adrian Beltre’s negotiations” believe that Adrian Beltre could sign with the Oakland A’s quickly, possibly as soon as today. Why the rush? Well, there’s an offer out there, see, and the A’s have two other third baseman in Kevin Kouzamanoff and Edwin Encarnacion to whom they have to decide to tender contracts or not sometime today. That would make it plausible that the Beltre offer will expire today if he doesn’t take it. Throw in some “Beltre prefers the west coast” stuff and voila you got a rumor.
I like me some Jayson Stark, but he needs to find a new set of rival executives to talk to. I mean, ask yourself: on what planet does Scott Boras respond pliantly to a team basically saying “look, we have to decide whether or not to tender contracts to Kouzmanoff and Encarnacion by today, see, so you and your guy had best make up your minds by midnight, OK? You know my number.” Especially when he doesn’t even have offers in hand from the Red Sox yet. If anything, an offer with that kind of thing hanging over it would probably cause Boras to hold out on it until March on general principle. He just doesn’t play that game.
And if Beltre did sign under such circumstances? Without the Red Sox getting in on the game yet? Well, then, one wonders why Boras is his agent anyway. You hire Boras to drive the bus, not to be driven by Billy Beane and not so you can get a geographically-based deal of convenience.
Maybe I’m just crazy here, and if I am, and Beltre signs with the A’s in the next couple of days I’ll dedicate an apology post to Stark and his rival execs. I just don’t think I’ll have to, ya know?
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 90
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 44
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 15
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 6
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 73
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (94)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement