Dec 2, 2010, 1:48 PM EDT
Arizona announced four non-tenders, cutting loose Ryan Church, D.J. Carrasco, Augie Ojeda, and Blaine Boyer rather than going through the arbitration process with them.
They may also still non-tender Zach Duke prior to tonight’s deadline, but for now the Diamondbacks are reportedly trying to work out a one-year deal with him for a lesser salary than he’d get in arbitration.
Church was once a solid starting outfielder, but hasn’t hit well since 2008 and is 32 years old. Carrasco would be a nice pickup for teams in need of bullpen help, as he’s posted a sub-4.00 ERA in three straight seasons and has the solid secondary numbers to match. Given how horrendous Arizona’s bullpen was this season, it’s somewhat surprising they aren’t keeping him around for $1.5 million or so.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 70
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 39
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 14
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 5
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 70
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger