Jim Leyritz to be sentenced today

Dec 2, 2010, 12:05 PM EST

Jim Leyritz

A jury found Jim Leyritz guilty of  drunk driving last month, but he was acquitted of manslaughter. Today Leyrtiz gets sentenced. He faces a maximum of six months in prison. Two things I wonder about:

• Normally someone who just gets a drunk driving conviction with Leyritz’s record won’t actually do six months of time. I have a friend who has defended a couple of cases like this before (i.e. a death or injury is involved, but the defendant is acquitted on the big change, with only a DUI holding up). Each time his client got the maximum sentence.  He thinks it’s because the judge is trying to make up for the acquittal somehow, even if no one will ever admit it.  It’s probably of little consequence, but that kind of outside-the-lines justice is something that has always intrigued me. Both in cases where a defendant gets off easier or is hit harder than he might otherwise be.
  • Second: before the accident, Leyritz was a fixture in the talk radio world and would do meet-and-greets at Yankee events.  I assume that part of his life is over, at least for the near future.  I don’t give a crap about Leyritz specifically, but I wonder how someone in his position proceeds when he’s out of jail.  Can he sign at card shows? Is there any future for the guy?

Obviously neither of these issues is of consequence compared to the fact that someone died as a result of this accident, and my concern, such as it is, for Leyrtiz should not be taken too heavily.  It’s just the sort of thing I think about on a slow Thursday morning.

1. dsmaxsucks - Dec 2, 2010 at 12:23 PM

A drunk driving where someone dies is far worse than a drunk driving where someone shows up on America’s Home Videos tripping on an imaginary line. That is true even if the drunk driving doesn’t rise to the mental state necessary to constitute manslaughter. It is completely legit to consider the effects of ones conduct, even if they were not intended (ask BP).

Though Leyritz didn’t mean to, he engaged in conduct that led to someone’s death. Ergo, he gets a bigger punishment than the guy who hit the tree.

2. bigharold - Dec 2, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Craig, some random thoughts are better left in your head.

• Detroit Michael - Dec 2, 2010 at 3:56 PM

I thought it was a decent enough post. I especially like the insiders’ view in how the sentencing often plays out.

To each his own, I guess.

3. Jonny 5 - Dec 2, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Well, I’m pretty sure the maximum sentence fits in this case. He should, and probably will be doing many tours around the state speaking about drunk driving and the possible results of it. He also will have to mention how lucky he was that he wasn’t found guilty of manslaughter. Some states it’s kinda automatic when alcohol is involved, I’m pretty sure.

4. deep64blue - Dec 2, 2010 at 7:23 PM

He got a years probation and a $500 fine.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. G. Stanton (3865)