Dec 2, 2010, 10:32 AM EDT
Jon Heyman reports that the Royals won’t trade Zack Greinke within their division.
You hear about teams being loathe to do this fairly often. And I get it when you’re talking about two teams who are in direct, current contention for the title like the Yankees and Rays or something. But I can’t see why the Royals — if they were intent on trading Greinke — would consider the division in which their trade partner plays to be relevant.
You either get value in return or you don’t, right? Maybe a bit of a premium from a division rival? Put differently, if you’re thinking “we don’t want to get beat by Zack Greinke in the division,” aren’t the Royals, by definition, conceding that they’re not confident that they’ll get equal or greater value in a trade? If they did, sure, Zack Greinke might be beating them, but whatever the White Sox or Tigers or whoever gave them in return should be outweighing it.
Put a player on the block and take the best bid. If it’s a division rival, why not take that deal?
*Note: Yeah, for about five minutes this post had the Rangers named as one of the Royals’ division rivals. In defense, I only can say that I have not had the best of mornings.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 12
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 13
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)