Dec 2, 2010, 10:32 AM EDT
Jon Heyman reports that the Royals won’t trade Zack Greinke within their division.
You hear about teams being loathe to do this fairly often. And I get it when you’re talking about two teams who are in direct, current contention for the title like the Yankees and Rays or something. But I can’t see why the Royals — if they were intent on trading Greinke — would consider the division in which their trade partner plays to be relevant.
You either get value in return or you don’t, right? Maybe a bit of a premium from a division rival? Put differently, if you’re thinking “we don’t want to get beat by Zack Greinke in the division,” aren’t the Royals, by definition, conceding that they’re not confident that they’ll get equal or greater value in a trade? If they did, sure, Zack Greinke might be beating them, but whatever the White Sox or Tigers or whoever gave them in return should be outweighing it.
Put a player on the block and take the best bid. If it’s a division rival, why not take that deal?
*Note: Yeah, for about five minutes this post had the Rangers named as one of the Royals’ division rivals. In defense, I only can say that I have not had the best of mornings.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 98
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 52
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 16
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 7
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 75
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (112)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (78)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful