The Royals won’t trade Zack Greinke within the AL Central. Which is stupid.

Dec 2, 2010, 10:32 AM EST

Zack Greinke

Jon Heyman reports that the Royals won’t trade Zack Greinke within their division.

You hear about teams being loathe to do this fairly often. And I get it when you’re talking about two teams who are in direct, current contention for the title like the Yankees and Rays or something. But I can’t see why the Royals — if they were intent on trading Greinke — would consider the division in which their trade partner plays to be relevant.

You either get value in return or you don’t, right? Maybe a bit of a premium from a division rival? Put differently, if you’re thinking “we don’t want to get beat by Zack Greinke in the division,” aren’t the Royals, by definition, conceding that they’re not confident that they’ll get equal or greater value in a trade?  If they did, sure, Zack Greinke might be beating them, but whatever the White Sox or Tigers or whoever gave them in return should be outweighing it.

Put a player on the block and take the best bid. If it’s a division rival, why not take that deal?

*Note: Yeah, for about five minutes this post had the Rangers named as one of the Royals’ division rivals.  In defense, I only can say that I have not had the best of mornings.

1. isdtyrant - Dec 2, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Maybe because the Rangers aren’t in the same division?

2. Kevin S. - Dec 2, 2010 at 10:39 AM

The Rangers aren’t in the AL Central, but I agree with the general point. The Royals are offering up the next two years of Zack Greinke. They probably won’t be competitive during that timeframe. The only thing they should be caring about is getting the highest offer from a team he’s willing to go to.

3. uyf1950 - Dec 2, 2010 at 10:43 AM

I can’t see why KC wouldn’t trade him in the same division either. It’s not like the Royals are going to be competitive in the next couple of years. I think any objective fan or baseball executive would have to admit KC is going to be mired in mediocrity for years to come.

4. joshfrancis50 - Dec 2, 2010 at 11:01 AM

First, as many mention, they aren’t close to contending, so who cares? Second, you don’t have to trade within the division, but why state it? You’re just telling the other potential suitors that there are 4 fewer people competing for him. Let them help drive the price up. I’m sure Kenny Williams or the Tigers would throw crazy stuff at them. Third, what if one of those guys would have thrown a ridonkulous offer at you? You’ve told them no thanks before a guy like Dombrowski could even start listening to the crazy that we all know is in his head.

5. Lukehart80 - Dec 2, 2010 at 12:24 PM

So you’re telling me Zack WON’T be pitching for the Indians in 2011?

Damn.

6. jfk69 - Dec 2, 2010 at 12:33 PM

The evil empire strikes again.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5999)