Dec 2, 2010, 10:32 AM EST
Jon Heyman reports that the Royals won’t trade Zack Greinke within their division.
You hear about teams being loathe to do this fairly often. And I get it when you’re talking about two teams who are in direct, current contention for the title like the Yankees and Rays or something. But I can’t see why the Royals — if they were intent on trading Greinke — would consider the division in which their trade partner plays to be relevant.
You either get value in return or you don’t, right? Maybe a bit of a premium from a division rival? Put differently, if you’re thinking “we don’t want to get beat by Zack Greinke in the division,” aren’t the Royals, by definition, conceding that they’re not confident that they’ll get equal or greater value in a trade? If they did, sure, Zack Greinke might be beating them, but whatever the White Sox or Tigers or whoever gave them in return should be outweighing it.
Put a player on the block and take the best bid. If it’s a division rival, why not take that deal?
*Note: Yeah, for about five minutes this post had the Rangers named as one of the Royals’ division rivals. In defense, I only can say that I have not had the best of mornings.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 59
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 156
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (156)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)