The White Sox may get Adam Dunn AND Paul Konerko

Dec 2, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT

Chicago White Sox Konerko watches his first hit of five against Minnesota Twins during the first inning of their American League baseball game in Minneapolis

Adam Dunn is all but done. And talk about changing the balance of power, here’s the latest tweet from Joe Cowley:

Several Sox players are under the belief that not only is Dunn done deal, but PK [Paul Konerko] is close. Seems the demise of JR’s checkbook is exaggerated

I have no idea if a team’s players are the best source for this kind of thing, but one way they would know is if their buddy Konerko was texting them stuff like “no worries; my deal is almost done.”

Getting both Dunn and Konerko would be huge for the White Sox.  Expensive, but huge.  Having the two of them in the lineup together could launch them past the Twins if each team’s remaining moves break even.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Dec 2, 2010 at 5:24 PM

So is PK going to be the Putin to Dunn’s Medvedev or the other way around?

• Old Gator - Dec 2, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Sounds more like he’s going to be Diaghilev to Dunn’s Nijinsky. I grant you that this analogy limps in certain ways, but hey, it does exploit the entrepreneurial aspect of the joke and you started this Russian thing.

• proudlycanadian - Dec 2, 2010 at 7:40 PM

And if it does not work due to age, ineffectiveness and the infamous A. J. Burnett syndrome, how soon will it be before the fire the manager talk begins?

• Ace - Dec 2, 2010 at 9:36 PM

I’ll admit I’m getting really confused with this analogy, but shouldn’t Kenny Williams be Diaghilev in this scenario? And if Dunn is going to be Nijinsky, then PK has to be someone like Fokine. Ozzie, I think, becomes Stravinsky.

2. hackerjay - Dec 2, 2010 at 6:38 PM

I don’t really see this “launching” them past the Twins. Dunn isn’t going to single handedly win them six extra games, and Konerko will drop off from his career year.

It definitely makes them better, and they increase their playoff chances quite a bit, but I still think the Twins are the team to beat.

• Old Gator - Dec 2, 2010 at 6:44 PM

And if it keeps Ozzie in Chicago an extra ten years and denies him to the clutches of the lascivious Scrooge McLoria, those signings would be a bargain at twice the price.

Right, Jerry?

3. krautmick - Dec 2, 2010 at 6:47 PM

if the white sox don’t lose a stud pitcher like Peavy, again, AND both AD and PK are signed, they should take over the twinkies.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (3959)