Dec 2, 2010, 6:13 AM EDT
Jerry Crasnick reports that the Yankees avoided arbitration with Sergio Mitre, signing him to a one-year, $900,000 contract. Mitre had 3.33 ERA and 29/16 K/BB ratio over 54 innings in 24 relief outings and three spot starts last year.
Sometimes you see guys like Mitre referred to as “insurance.” As in, he could be used to start if there are injuries and can cover middle relief and stuff. I like to think of him as life insurance. As in, if he is being utilized, it pretty much means you’re dead.
Oh, and in other marginal Yankee pitcher news, Alfredo Aceves broke his left collar bone in a bicycle accident down in Mexico. He’ll likely miss the start of spring training because of it. I broke my left collar bone in a bike wreck once too. I don’t want to alarm Yankees fans, but I never pitched again after that. Never pitched before either, but that’s neither here nor there.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)