Dec 2, 2010, 6:13 AM EDT
Jerry Crasnick reports that the Yankees avoided arbitration with Sergio Mitre, signing him to a one-year, $900,000 contract. Mitre had 3.33 ERA and 29/16 K/BB ratio over 54 innings in 24 relief outings and three spot starts last year.
Sometimes you see guys like Mitre referred to as “insurance.” As in, he could be used to start if there are injuries and can cover middle relief and stuff. I like to think of him as life insurance. As in, if he is being utilized, it pretty much means you’re dead.
Oh, and in other marginal Yankee pitcher news, Alfredo Aceves broke his left collar bone in a bicycle accident down in Mexico. He’ll likely miss the start of spring training because of it. I broke my left collar bone in a bike wreck once too. I don’t want to alarm Yankees fans, but I never pitched again after that. Never pitched before either, but that’s neither here nor there.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 43
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 56
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 48
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)