The Yankees re-sign Sergio Mitre

Dec 2, 2010, 6:13 AM EDT

New York Yankees v Toronto Blue Jays Getty Images

Jerry Crasnick reports that the Yankees avoided arbitration with Sergio Mitre, signing him to a one-year, $900,000 contract. Mitre had 3.33 ERA and 29/16 K/BB ratio over 54 innings in 24 relief outings and three spot starts last year.

Sometimes you see guys like Mitre referred to as “insurance.” As in, he could be used to start if there are injuries and can cover middle relief and stuff.  I like to think of him as life insurance. As in, if he is being utilized, it pretty much means you’re dead.

Oh, and in other marginal Yankee pitcher news, Alfredo Aceves broke his left collar bone in a bicycle accident down in Mexico. He’ll likely miss the start of spring training because of it.  I broke my left collar bone in a bike wreck once too.  I don’t want to alarm Yankees fans, but I never pitched again after that.  Never pitched before either, but that’s neither here nor there.

1. yankeesfanlen - Dec 2, 2010 at 8:00 AM

But I presume you can play the piano now. Last time I heard that I fell off a dinosaur.

2. pisano - Dec 2, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Your dead wrong on Aceves, losing him was a big loss to the Yankee bullpen. The guy can be used in alot of situations. He was a go to guy for them. I think they even used him to spot start.Hopefully he’ll be back early in the season and at full strength.

• BC - Dec 2, 2010 at 9:30 AM

I agree on Aceves. When healthy the guy has some serious stuff.

3. BC - Dec 2, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Mitre is an arm, reasonably reliable. You don’t want him in there in the 8th inning of a close game, but if your starter gets blown up and you’re down 6-0 after 2, you can throw him in there, and he’ll generally hold the other team at bay in long relief. Not a bad guy to keep around.

4. uyf1950 - Dec 2, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Two comments. First, the Yankees do need Aceves. In 2009 he appeared in 43 games in only 5 of those games did he give up more then 2 ER’s. In 2010 before his injury he pitched in 10 games he had a .300 ERA and that was because of one game that he gave up 3 runs. In his other 9 appearances he gave up a total of 1 ER and that was on April 14th. His last 7 appearances prior to his injury -0- earned runs. Anyone who doesn’t appreciate his value to the Yankees doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

As for Mitre, he can spot start if necessary. Although I doubt that will be necessary this coming season. I hope the Yankees give Moseley a shot. Moseley can/would serve the same purpose as Mitre in the Yankee pen. The benifit I think Moseley provides is he’s a lefty. Back to Mitre, for $900,000 it’s a no lose situation for the Yankees, and with Gaudin gone (thank god) the Yankees may need an innings eater.

The guy I really want to see back is Kerry Wood. His time with the Yankees was really a god send.

5. Kevin S. - Dec 2, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Yeah, I echo others in saying that Aceves wasn’t exactly marginal. Replaceable, certainly, but marginal seems to imply a lack of value that wasn’t true when he was healthy.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3899)