The Yankees sweeten their offer to Jeter. Of course, this is all theater.

Dec 2, 2010, 4:01 PM EDT

New York Yankees v Texas Rangers, Game 6 Getty Images

You can almost hear the stage manager barking out directions on this one:

“OK, now Jeter: you let the Yankees come to your home, showing that you are due respect … and now you Yankees; you alert multiple members of the media that you are increasing your offer.  Don’t say how much! That will blow the illusion that this is a negotiation instead of a carefully orchestrated public relations exercise in which Jeter is getting beaten down without anyone realizing it. Good … good … perfect.  We should have this thing done by next week, and no one will ever remember this bit of ugliness again.”

1. spiceumup - Dec 2, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Hey idiot, don’t you have anything else to write about?

• Craig Calcaterra - Dec 2, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Perhaps you’d like to be a guest blogger? Suggest items? If there’s something I’m not covering, by all means, please feel to alert me to it.

In the meantime, let me make a suggestion to you: people are far more receptive to your comments when you don’t preface them with “hey idiot.”

Jerk.

• tomemos - Dec 2, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Well, if you go to his WordPress page you can see nothing but, shall we say, untapped potential.

• kinggeorge96 - Dec 2, 2010 at 4:36 PM

I bet he didn’t expect a response.. way to go Craig!

• Utley's Hair - Dec 2, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Is that a Reader’s Dissent post that I smell?

• frankbuc - Dec 3, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Ok Craig….he is clearly not happy so please return spiceumup’s subscription fee.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Dec 2, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Let’s have a toast for the douchebags! Let’s have a toast for the a$$holes!

2. Old Gator - Dec 2, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Hear the stage manager….

Two more points off, Craig. Terrible way to start the semester.

3. yankeesfanlen - Dec 2, 2010 at 4:19 PM

OLD BASEBALL HOME CIRCA 2032

Cash “Hey Jete, remember that time back in 2010 or so when we jerked you around for a while, then gave you $17 Large and you batted .230 the next year? Damn near brought in Pena by the All Star break”
    Jete “Yeah, I had that idiot what’s-his-name for an agent. Should have had Scotty all along”
    Hank “Another round for everyone, yeah, I always liked Scotty and I shoulda gotten rid of Randy when I had the chance”.

4. Adam - Dec 2, 2010 at 4:33 PM

I wonder if sweetening the offer is slang for them saying “You take this and we won’t pull the offer off the table and make you go play for the Giants. We’ll even give you an extra dollar if you sign now. You can call it a signing bonus and we won’t disclose how much it was.”

I’m normally all for players getting as much as they can from teams, that’s the way of the business, but this is ridiculous. I agree with Cashman, go test the market. See if the Giants (or anyone else) are willing to pony up more than 3/45. I don’t think even Sabean is that dumb.

5. uyf1950 - Dec 2, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Anything the Yankees offer above $15M per for 3 years is going to be all smoke and mirrors designed for Jeter to save face. This way Jeter can make like the good soldier and on opening day in Yankee Stadium 2011 all 50,000 fans can give him a standing ovation.

6. Utley's Hair - Dec 2, 2010 at 5:29 PM

So Schmidt is getting his info from “someone in baseball”?

7. tuffnstuff - Dec 2, 2010 at 5:34 PM

These comments make me sick. What the h*** is the matter with people? Jeter is a class act, which is more than I can say for the above idiots. Do any of you bozos think that if Jeter DIDN’T get the money, the fans would get a reduced price? It’s simple, pay Jeter or pay the Organization of the Yankees. The money is there. Quit yr bitchn and pay the man!!!

• fquaye149 - Dec 2, 2010 at 5:55 PM

So you’re fine with whatever product the Yankees put on the field as long as a guy they’ve already paid nearly $200 million to doesn’t feel slightly disrespected? I somehow doubt it. If they gave Jeter 100 million over 5, you would probably be just like all the other Yankees fans wondering why they don’t go out and sign the big money free agents like they used to what with nearly 100mm tied up into aging Tex and CC, and positively ancient Jeter and A-Rod. I wonder, if that were to happen, how many of the Jeter disciples would remember how much they lobbied for the “cheapskate” Yankees to pony up 20mm a year to a 40 year old SS who insists on hitting at the top of the lineup.

• tuffnstuff - Dec 2, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Two choices for the Yankee organization. Cheap out and return to the unthrilling days of yesteryear, or pay the money like King George did, and win. This goes not only for Jeter, but for all of the players the Yankees need. Money, like matter, is neither created, nor destroyed. It’s only put into someone’s pocket. I’d rather see the players get it than the organization. And no, I’m not fine with whatever product the Yankees put out there, it has to be Yankee Quality. If the people whose job it is to scout talent screw up, then replace them.

8. fquaye149 - Dec 2, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Well what don’t you understand about this? Money given to Jeter that he isn’t worth is money not given to potential free agents. Jeter wants 25mm for at least 3 years. We’re talking about paying a 40 year old SS 25mm. That’s not Yankee quality. This Yankee team spends every bit as much money as the George teams, but you seem to want them to spend 250+mm on players, otherwise you wouldn’t claim that Jeter making 25mm in a year that A-Rod will also make 25mm, Teixeira and CC will make about 40mm between them and anyone else the Yankees add this year will be making in the high 10’s, low 20mm won’t affect their ability to acquire talent. Like you, I’m all for the players getting a chunk of the earnings, but we’re talking about one player and what he’s worth, not about the salary structure of baseball as a whole. Does Jeter at age 40 deserve to be making more than Mark Teixeira age 33? Or CC, age 34? I just don’t understand where you’re coming from here.

9. Walk - Dec 2, 2010 at 6:46 PM

The yankees dont have to “cheap out ” by not signing jeter. They can use the money he is asking for to improve the other areas of the team. The yankees do have an older , read veteran, roster and the starters needed rest near the end of the year, moreso than most of the other teams. This is my opinion only but i believe their best option is to pony up the money jeter wants and use it to get werth or crawford and flip one of their other outfielders for a ss.

10. uyf1950 - Dec 2, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Hopefully all of this will be over soon at least by the time the Winter Meetings end if not sooner. Then the Yankees can more on to solve the other position issue the Yankees are faced with. They need to decide what they are going to do at the catching spot. They need to do something about their starting pitching either get Lee or try and work a trade for another starting pitcher. They need bullpen help and they need to sign Rivera and get a decision from Andy Pettitte on his return. They (Yankees) have a lot of work ahead of them and as I’ve said before time has come for Jeter to fish or cut bait. The Yankees want him most fans want him but not at “any” cost.

11. stew01 - Dec 2, 2010 at 7:34 PM

I mentioned this two weeks ago….Jeter will get $60 mil…or $20 mil for 3 years. Whats the big deal?

• uyf1950 - Dec 2, 2010 at 7:40 PM

I doubt you will see $20M per for 3 years. As I’ve said before I think they top out at $17M per for 3 years. Maybe throw in a club option for a 4th year that unless Jeter plays light out the Yankees will not exercise.

12. uyf1950 - Dec 3, 2010 at 6:53 AM

Yahoo Sports this morning is reporting that the Yankees have upped their original offer by $2 to 3M per and added a vesting option for the 4th year.
    If the report is accurate, I say if Jeter doesn’t sign the Yankees should move in a different direction, period. They have already overvalued is on field performance and taken his “off the field” value into consideration with the original offer. This new offer shows their flexibility in overvaluing him even more. It’s time for Jeter to reciprocate and sign on the dotted line. Enough is enough Derek Jeter, show the fans that you are the “team” player they believe you are.

13. Adam - Dec 3, 2010 at 10:19 AM

If I were the Yankees there is no way I’d put a team option into his contract. If you do you are basically obligating yourself into having to pick it up. Otherwise you cut the man who so many consider (and mostly is) the face of the franchise. A vesting option is slightly better, but the word “option” is still in there and it wouldn’t look the best if he came close but didn’t quite get there (see: Ordonez, Magglio).

Whatever contract he signs, if I was Cashman, I would want Jeter’s assurance that if I gave him the years he wanted he would retire at the end of it. If I didn’t want to give him the years he wanted then I’d hold the line like Cashman is doing. You’d catch heat either way, but at least if you did it now you’re not obligated to play a guy who can’t field.

• yankees1996 - Dec 3, 2010 at 4:30 PM

This is a narrow view Adam and the proof is a “former” Yankee by the name of Bernie Williams. If a fourth year is going to be part of the contract then it most certainly must be a team option. Derek Jeter will realize one day when the ride is over that he was paid very well by the Yankees and as it turns out will not have been treated nearly as harshly as he and most people believe.

Orioles turn AL East on its head