Adrian Beltre: “If everything was close to the same, I would go back to Boston”

Dec 3, 2010, 9:20 AM EDT

beltre batting

I can’t recall a free agent ever saying “oh, screw that town. Man, I hate it. I’d scrub toilets for a living before playing there,” but I still think it’s somewhat notable when a player praises a potential destination. Like Adrian Beltre did yesterday regarding Boston:

“I got used to seeing that park full in the first inning and still full in the ninth inning. I liked that atmosphere, If everything was close to the same, I would go back to Boston. But we have to see. The number of years is what is important to me.’’

Interesting. So he may take less dough in order to get a longer contract?  I can’t decide if that helps or hurts Boston. My guess is that they’d prefer to pay a higher rate than go longer on someone (see, Ortiz, David; Papelbon, Jonathan), but their wealth makes them able to absorb longer deals too.  The A’s offer to Beltre is suspected to be a five-year thing.  Would Boston go six?  Seems out of character for them, but Beltre is a really, really valuable player so it could happen.

1. bloodysock - Dec 3, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Under current ownership, the Red Sox have only gone six years on two players: Daisuke Matsuzaka and Dustin Pedroia.

They won’t go six for Beltre.

2. ramsbladdercup - Dec 3, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Seems they’d only have to match 5 years. They probably offered 4.

3. rynev - Dec 3, 2010 at 1:18 PM

He may not have been a free agent at the time, but Ichiro did once say:

To tell the truth, I’m not excited to go to Cleveland, but we have to. If I ever saw myself saying I’m excited going to Cleveland, I’d punch myself in the face, because I’m lying.

4. Jack Marshall - Dec 3, 2010 at 1:34 PM

He’s also a wonderful player, which I never suspected based on seeing him in Seattle…intense, a horse, hustles, colorful, unique, fun, flashy, fiery, tough—and he responds to the crowd. He ‘s worth making a commitment to.

5. uyf1950 - Dec 3, 2010 at 4:21 PM

It’s kind of amazing how perception becomes reality. Aside from the 2 walk years when Beltre became a free agent at the end of the season he has had a rather average career. In the 11 other years (not including the 2 walk years) he for the most part has been a .265 to .275 hitter, his OBP generally in the low .300′s and is OPS low .700′s not the types of numbers that on average warrant the type of money and length of contract he is expecting and likely to get. If history is any indication he is likely to regress to about a .275 BA ; an OBP of about .325 and an OPS of about .745
    Granted Fenway Park is much better suited for Beltre then Safeco was in 2005 but we shall see if it was the stadium or the player.

Three legends off to Cooperstown