HBT will be at the Winter Meetings next week

Dec 3, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT

Disney World

Peter Gammons was interviewed about hot stove stuff and he was asked about what happens at the Winter Meetings:

It’s a lot of lobby wandering. You got everybody there and it’s fun. You see Alderson go into an elevator with (Cubs general manager) Jim Hendry and all of a sudden you start working to see if there is a Cubs- Mets trade being talked about. It goes on like that all day. Usually from Sunday to Monday things are out of control with rumors and stuff.
Last year was my first Winter Meetings and that was my sense of it too. Glad I wasn’t missing anything.  My guess is Gammons will get to enjoy the Meetings more this year than he did last year, as this year he won’t be announcing that he’s leaving ESPN, thereby causing every writer in the place to want to come congratulate him.  I have no idea how he got any work done last year. Then again, the Meetings were in a cold and snowy Indianapolis last year too, so it’s not like there were many distractions beyond that.
Anyway, I’m going to the Winter Meetings again this year. They’re at Disney World. I’m flying down on Sunday and will be reporting from them all week.  For those of you who weren’t HBT readers last year, know this: we update constantly during the Meetings, even more frequently than we currently do.  If there is buzz about anything, you can bet that we’ll be among the first if not the first to pass it along.  So what I’m saying is that you should probably keep a window open with HBT in it all week long.
This will probably be the best Winter Meetings for a while too. I hear that for the next two years they’ll be in Russia and Qatar.
  1. Jonny 5 - Dec 3, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Man, let’s hope “Mookie” doesn’t taze you first then lock you up in the dungeon for leaving her home when you’re going to Disney.

• Craig Calcaterra - Dec 3, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Yeah, she’s not pleased by that. But we couldn’t work a family trip into it: she’s in the Nutcracker this year. She has dress rehearsals during the meetings and the performances are next weekend.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 3, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Be very careful around her for awhile or the “nutcracker” rehearsal will be before you leave. Well, I’m sure than dad will more than make up for it, the contract is probably being drafted right about now….

2. sportsdrenched - Dec 3, 2010 at 10:16 AM

It still doesn’t make it OK to call the 2011 Season, “this season” You at least have to wait until the winter solstice.

3. yankeesfanlen - Dec 3, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Hmmmm…..white smoke means Lee and Crawford are coming to the Universe….black smoke if we get rid of THE FAT TOAD.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 3, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Get used to the toadstool Len. I don’t think he’s going anywhere as nobody has a clue as to how much this guy is worth. One extreme to the next…

• ramsbladdercup - Dec 3, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Who’s this FAT TOAD? I’ve been around here a while and I’ve never heard you mention him before. Maybe if you said it more often I would know how you feel about this mystery player?

• apbaguy - Dec 3, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Joba Chamberlain. Those of us who are less considerate of others would say something smug about now, but us A’s fans are in no position to do that.

• yankeesfanlen - Dec 3, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Unfortunately, I’ve been overwhelmed by news of Beep-beep the Jete lately and been unable to give the complete Universe rundown. This pile of malarkie I usually spew comes from a “Where have nicknames gone” post several months ago, although THE FAT TOAD’s moniker may pre-date that. Just always have to have a Yankee team member to pounce on, and since the demise of Farnsy, the name we do not speak comes up only in code.
        Thanks to apba guy for the fitting explanation, once in a while the larder needs refilling.

4. apbaguy - Dec 3, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Craig, I think you need to warn us if there is another potential Gator/Shyster summit in the works. Or do you save those exclusively for Spring training when you aren’t tied to the Magic Kingdom?

5. Old Gator - Dec 3, 2010 at 11:50 AM

I hope they’re not putting you up in Celebration. It’s getting ugly there. I hear one of those android wives went berserk and whacked some guy. It could be a system-wide malfunction. Perhaps there was a leak in the bottle in the turret of Tinkerbell’s Castle where they keep Disney’s brain and the Scotch dripped out past the critical level where the staff could no longer dunk their donuts. Something similar occurred at Chernobyl, I read someplace. Stay at one of the discounted motels. You may get lice but malfunctioning androids won’t bother with you there.

• Craig Calcaterra - Dec 3, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Good to know. And based on his response, apba, I would put about a 0.0% possibility on Gator entering the gates of the Magic Kingdom. At least for purposes other than a messy martyrdom.

• Old Gator - Dec 3, 2010 at 12:31 PM

How true. I take my martyrdoms sparingly, and to be honest, I think my first marriage was more than enough of one. We once had a horrible screaming fight on the log flume ride while easing past The Laughing Place. And that was during the middle of the month.

But what of that.

We have just received word of a suicide in Celebration to go with last night’s murder. Perhaps my suspicion of a system-wide failure was not totally speculative. It just occurred to me that if the android that malfunctioned in Celebration and the suicide were merely a hint of what is to come, just imagine all the animatronic simulacra in Disney World going berserk just in time for the Winter Meetings. Imagine Sandy Alderson being mauled by Baloo, or Scott Boras being eviscerated by pick-wielding dwarves in the Snow White ride, or Buzz Lightyear turning his phaser on Jon Heyman, or the Pinocchio whale swallowing Omar Minaya – and then spitting him out again, or Thunder Mountain Railroad flying off the tracks and taking three dozen front office factotums with it. Imagine, in other words, a bootleg remake of Westworld with splatter scenes involving MLB personnel galore, made in China so we don’t have to bather paying Disney copyright permission fees, and surreptitiously distributed via some as yet undetermined major network subsidiary sports blog. They’d forget about Julian Assange pretty quickly and come looking for us you betcha. You can geek the government, but you don’t screw around with Disney.

Unless you’re a malfunctioning android, anyway.

All of which notwithstanding, there’s no fate worthy of Scrooge McLoria and the Chihuahua at Disney World that I’m aware of. I would probably prefer them to be dismembered by malfunctioning raptors over at Universal, which costs less to get into than Disney and so would probably appeal to the beloved owner of the Feesh.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 3, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Besides, Gator wouldn’t go to a place such as that, where there is an inordinate number of kids, as they are second to Scrooge McLoria as the scourge of the earth.

6. Old Gator - Dec 3, 2010 at 2:56 PM

Yes, children are horrible. Go git ‘em, renegade animatronics!

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (3910)