Dec 3, 2010, 8:17 PM EDT
UPDATE: The deal is essentially done. No word on the specifics yet, but according to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Harang only needs to pass a physical for the contract to become official.
4:47 PM: Bill Center of the San Diego Union Tribune reports that the Padres “could be close to signing” Aaron Harang, although he attaches an amusing “according to two sources who declined to be identified because they are not authorized to speak on the matter” disclaimer.
We may have reached absurd levels when it comes to putting unnamed sources into context, but whatever. Harang is a San Diego native and, like all pitchers trying to resurrect their career, would benefit from calling Petco Park home.
He just finished a four-year, $34.5 million contract, compiling a ghastly 18-38 record in the final three seasons of the deal. With a 4.71 ERA and 377/131 K/BB ratio in 458 innings his secondary numbers were much better than the win-loss record suggests, but his days of being a top-of-the-rotation starter are gone.
Still, the Padres are looking for someone to eat innings after losing Jon Garland and Kevin Correia (and Chris Young), and Harang would certainly be worth a low-cost flier.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)