Dec 3, 2010, 8:17 PM EDT
UPDATE: The deal is essentially done. No word on the specifics yet, but according to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Harang only needs to pass a physical for the contract to become official.
4:47 PM: Bill Center of the San Diego Union Tribune reports that the Padres “could be close to signing” Aaron Harang, although he attaches an amusing “according to two sources who declined to be identified because they are not authorized to speak on the matter” disclaimer.
We may have reached absurd levels when it comes to putting unnamed sources into context, but whatever. Harang is a San Diego native and, like all pitchers trying to resurrect their career, would benefit from calling Petco Park home.
He just finished a four-year, $34.5 million contract, compiling a ghastly 18-38 record in the final three seasons of the deal. With a 4.71 ERA and 377/131 K/BB ratio in 458 innings his secondary numbers were much better than the win-loss record suggests, but his days of being a top-of-the-rotation starter are gone.
Still, the Padres are looking for someone to eat innings after losing Jon Garland and Kevin Correia (and Chris Young), and Harang would certainly be worth a low-cost flier.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 12
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 3
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games