Dec 3, 2010, 11:03 PM EDT
Craig mentioned earlier that the Red Sox are discussing a trade for Adrian Gonzalez, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com writes that multiple teams besides are involved in negotiations, including the Cubs.
Obviously Starlin Castro would be untouchable here, but you’d have to think guys like Tyler Colvin, Andrew Cashner, Brett Jackson, Chris Archer, Trey McNutt and Hak-Ju Lee would be fair game. Good enough to compete with a package from the Red Sox? Hard to say.
One source tells Alex Speier of WEEI.com that the Padres are “trying to see what’s out there” to determine whether to trade Gonzalez right now or keep him for 2011 and either receive draft pick compensation or trade him should they fall out of the race during the season. It’s not an easy call, especially after coming off a 90-win season, but the Padres stand to get more in return now than they would for what will essentially be a two or three month rental in July.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (151)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)