Dec 3, 2010, 11:03 PM EDT
Craig mentioned earlier that the Red Sox are discussing a trade for Adrian Gonzalez, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com writes that multiple teams besides are involved in negotiations, including the Cubs.
Obviously Starlin Castro would be untouchable here, but you’d have to think guys like Tyler Colvin, Andrew Cashner, Brett Jackson, Chris Archer, Trey McNutt and Hak-Ju Lee would be fair game. Good enough to compete with a package from the Red Sox? Hard to say.
One source tells Alex Speier of WEEI.com that the Padres are “trying to see what’s out there” to determine whether to trade Gonzalez right now or keep him for 2011 and either receive draft pick compensation or trade him should they fall out of the race during the season. It’s not an easy call, especially after coming off a 90-win season, but the Padres stand to get more in return now than they would for what will essentially be a two or three month rental in July.
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 86
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 28
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 97
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)