Dec 3, 2010, 11:03 PM EST
Craig mentioned earlier that the Red Sox are discussing a trade for Adrian Gonzalez, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com writes that multiple teams besides are involved in negotiations, including the Cubs.
Obviously Starlin Castro would be untouchable here, but you’d have to think guys like Tyler Colvin, Andrew Cashner, Brett Jackson, Chris Archer, Trey McNutt and Hak-Ju Lee would be fair game. Good enough to compete with a package from the Red Sox? Hard to say.
One source tells Alex Speier of WEEI.com that the Padres are “trying to see what’s out there” to determine whether to trade Gonzalez right now or keep him for 2011 and either receive draft pick compensation or trade him should they fall out of the race during the season. It’s not an easy call, especially after coming off a 90-win season, but the Padres stand to get more in return now than they would for what will essentially be a two or three month rental in July.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 64
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 22
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)