Dec 3, 2010, 5:58 PM EDT
We knew this was coming, it was only a matter of when: Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston is reporting that the Red Sox and Padres are discussing a trade for Adrian Gonzalez. Edes says that Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer are “making headway.” The contours of a deal would break down thusly:
According to the source familiar with the negotiations, the proposed deal centers only on minor leaguers, meaning the Red Sox would not lose star young reliever Daniel Bard … [San Diego] almost certainly would seek pitcher Casey Kelly and first baseman Anthony Rizzo in any deal, with outfielder Ryan Kalish, shortstop Jose Iglesias, outfielder Josh Riddick, 19-year-old outfielder Reymond Fuentes, pitcher Stolmy Pimentel, and catcher Ryan Lavarnway also potential targets.
Edes thinks it will ultimately take three prospects to make the deal happen, with some lesser filler coming over to complete the deal.
If it goes down, the Sox will still have ample ability to sign either Jayson Werth or Carl Crawford. Kevin Youkilis would likely move to third. The Red Sox offense — which has been far healthier than people have given it credit for these past couple of years — would, once again, be fearsome.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 96
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 51
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (105)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)