Dec 3, 2010, 5:58 PM EDT
We knew this was coming, it was only a matter of when: Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston is reporting that the Red Sox and Padres are discussing a trade for Adrian Gonzalez. Edes says that Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer are “making headway.” The contours of a deal would break down thusly:
According to the source familiar with the negotiations, the proposed deal centers only on minor leaguers, meaning the Red Sox would not lose star young reliever Daniel Bard … [San Diego] almost certainly would seek pitcher Casey Kelly and first baseman Anthony Rizzo in any deal, with outfielder Ryan Kalish, shortstop Jose Iglesias, outfielder Josh Riddick, 19-year-old outfielder Reymond Fuentes, pitcher Stolmy Pimentel, and catcher Ryan Lavarnway also potential targets.
Edes thinks it will ultimately take three prospects to make the deal happen, with some lesser filler coming over to complete the deal.
If it goes down, the Sox will still have ample ability to sign either Jayson Werth or Carl Crawford. Kevin Youkilis would likely move to third. The Red Sox offense — which has been far healthier than people have given it credit for these past couple of years — would, once again, be fearsome.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (196)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)