Dec 3, 2010, 5:58 PM EDT
We knew this was coming, it was only a matter of when: Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston is reporting that the Red Sox and Padres are discussing a trade for Adrian Gonzalez. Edes says that Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer are “making headway.” The contours of a deal would break down thusly:
According to the source familiar with the negotiations, the proposed deal centers only on minor leaguers, meaning the Red Sox would not lose star young reliever Daniel Bard … [San Diego] almost certainly would seek pitcher Casey Kelly and first baseman Anthony Rizzo in any deal, with outfielder Ryan Kalish, shortstop Jose Iglesias, outfielder Josh Riddick, 19-year-old outfielder Reymond Fuentes, pitcher Stolmy Pimentel, and catcher Ryan Lavarnway also potential targets.
Edes thinks it will ultimately take three prospects to make the deal happen, with some lesser filler coming over to complete the deal.
If it goes down, the Sox will still have ample ability to sign either Jayson Werth or Carl Crawford. Kevin Youkilis would likely move to third. The Red Sox offense — which has been far healthier than people have given it credit for these past couple of years — would, once again, be fearsome.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 14
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 33
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 109
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)