Dec 3, 2010, 3:48 PM EDT
Russell Martin was non-tendered by the Dodgers last night and the team seemingly replaced him behind the plate by re-signing Rod Barajas to a one-year deal, but today Martin’s agent told Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times that returning at a lesser salary and as a utility man may still be an option.
According to agent Matt Colleran, prior to the non-tender general manager Ned Colletti pitched the idea of Martin playing some second base, third base, and outfield in addition to catcher, but the two sides couldn’t agree on a contract before the midnight deadline. “He’s interested in the opportunity the Dodgers have described,” Colleran said.
Of course, Colleran also told Hernandez that six teams expressed interest in Martin as soon as he was non-tendered and there are various reports suggesting the Yankees were close to trading for him last night.
Martin’s willingness to play multiple positions is interesting, but the truth is that it’s been two years since he hit well enough to be an asset anywhere but behind the plate and ultimately the health of his fractured hip, not defensive versatility, will determine the bulk of his value.
According to Hernandez the Dodgers and Martin parted ways over a difference of $800,000 in guaranteed money.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)