Dec 3, 2010, 3:48 PM EDT
Russell Martin was non-tendered by the Dodgers last night and the team seemingly replaced him behind the plate by re-signing Rod Barajas to a one-year deal, but today Martin’s agent told Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times that returning at a lesser salary and as a utility man may still be an option.
According to agent Matt Colleran, prior to the non-tender general manager Ned Colletti pitched the idea of Martin playing some second base, third base, and outfield in addition to catcher, but the two sides couldn’t agree on a contract before the midnight deadline. “He’s interested in the opportunity the Dodgers have described,” Colleran said.
Of course, Colleran also told Hernandez that six teams expressed interest in Martin as soon as he was non-tendered and there are various reports suggesting the Yankees were close to trading for him last night.
Martin’s willingness to play multiple positions is interesting, but the truth is that it’s been two years since he hit well enough to be an asset anywhere but behind the plate and ultimately the health of his fractured hip, not defensive versatility, will determine the bulk of his value.
According to Hernandez the Dodgers and Martin parted ways over a difference of $800,000 in guaranteed money.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (108)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)