Dec 3, 2010, 12:01 PM EDT
Here’s Nats’ third baseman Ryan Zimmerman reflecting on Adam Dunn going to the Chisox:
“Knowing that we had one of the three top free agents on our team and we didn’t want to resign him, it’s frustrating for us as players. We’re not in the front office. We don’t make the decisions, and we don’t have to write the checks. But we’re getting to the point on our team where we’re supposed to wait it out, wait for the young guys, start doing some things and start making some moves. Not only are we ready for that, I think the fans are, as well. We’ve trusted the front office, and we still trust them. But we want to best possible team on the field … We’ve trusted their plan the whole time, and now it’s getting to that point where it’s time to do some things. We know we have a good young team, but we need a few pieces. Obviously, you’re not going to do all that in one season, but you can add a piece here and add a piece there.”
You can’t sign everyone, but I can’t for the life of me see why the Nats weren’t more interested in keeping Adam Dunn. He seemed totally amenable to an extension last summer, and it would have been cheaper than the $56 million he’s taking from the Sox. Olney says that he may have gone three-years, $30 million. Even if it was a bit higher, that’s still a bargain. At the very least they could have dealt him at the deadline and gotten some value for him.
Instead he’s walking for picks and the star young slugger is openly questioning the direction of the team. Just remember this when Zimmerman leaves via free agency in a couple of years and the Nats wonder why he won’t engage them in serious negotiations.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte