Dec 3, 2010, 8:51 AM EDT
I’ve been skeptical of any real Yankee interest in Carl Crawford because (a) their outfield seems quite nice as currently-constructed; and (b) even if we scoff at the Yankees “budget,” they do claim to have one and it’s hard to see how Crawford would fit in it if they’re also going to extend Jeter, re-sign Pettitte and get Cliff Lee.
But Buster Olney tweeted a few minutes ago that “the Yankees are very much engaged in conversations with free agent outfielder Carl Crawford.” Perhaps this is more Red Sox-Yankees drive-the-price-up-for-the-other shenanigans — and if so, I applaud it because that is great fun — but if we learn anything each and every offseason it’s that we can’t discount anything until a guy is actually committed someplace.
I mean, when we woke up yesterday we didn’t figure on Adam Dunn landing in Chicago before dinnertime did we?
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (98)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional