Dec 3, 2010, 8:51 AM EDT
I’ve been skeptical of any real Yankee interest in Carl Crawford because (a) their outfield seems quite nice as currently-constructed; and (b) even if we scoff at the Yankees “budget,” they do claim to have one and it’s hard to see how Crawford would fit in it if they’re also going to extend Jeter, re-sign Pettitte and get Cliff Lee.
But Buster Olney tweeted a few minutes ago that “the Yankees are very much engaged in conversations with free agent outfielder Carl Crawford.” Perhaps this is more Red Sox-Yankees drive-the-price-up-for-the-other shenanigans — and if so, I applaud it because that is great fun — but if we learn anything each and every offseason it’s that we can’t discount anything until a guy is actually committed someplace.
I mean, when we woke up yesterday we didn’t figure on Adam Dunn landing in Chicago before dinnertime did we?
- The beauty of belief 12
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 31
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 70
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 15
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)