Dec 3, 2010, 8:51 AM EDT
I’ve been skeptical of any real Yankee interest in Carl Crawford because (a) their outfield seems quite nice as currently-constructed; and (b) even if we scoff at the Yankees “budget,” they do claim to have one and it’s hard to see how Crawford would fit in it if they’re also going to extend Jeter, re-sign Pettitte and get Cliff Lee.
But Buster Olney tweeted a few minutes ago that “the Yankees are very much engaged in conversations with free agent outfielder Carl Crawford.” Perhaps this is more Red Sox-Yankees drive-the-price-up-for-the-other shenanigans — and if so, I applaud it because that is great fun — but if we learn anything each and every offseason it’s that we can’t discount anything until a guy is actually committed someplace.
I mean, when we woke up yesterday we didn’t figure on Adam Dunn landing in Chicago before dinnertime did we?
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (91)