The Yankees are talking to Carl Crawford

Dec 3, 2010, 8:51 AM EST

Carl Crawford running

I’ve been skeptical of any real Yankee interest in Carl Crawford because (a) their outfield seems quite nice as currently-constructed; and (b) even if we scoff at the Yankees “budget,” they do claim to have one and it’s hard to see how Crawford would fit in it if they’re also going to extend Jeter, re-sign Pettitte and get Cliff Lee.

But Buster Olney tweeted a few minutes ago that “the Yankees are very much engaged in conversations with free agent outfielder Carl Crawford.”  Perhaps this is more Red Sox-Yankees drive-the-price-up-for-the-other shenanigans — and if so, I applaud it because that is great fun — but if we learn anything each and every offseason it’s that we can’t discount anything until a guy is actually committed someplace.

I mean, when we woke up yesterday we didn’t figure on Adam Dunn landing in Chicago before dinnertime did we?

1. BC - Dec 3, 2010 at 9:00 AM

They’re running the price up, that’s all.

2. Joe - Dec 3, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Revenge for the Sox and Angels making offers to Mo.

3. Old Gator - Dec 3, 2010 at 9:09 AM

Adam Dunn is going to be parked awfully close to Leon’s Ribs, come to think of it. Lay in a few more sides of pork, Leon. Actually, might not be a bad idea to build a pigpen out back.

4. pisano - Dec 3, 2010 at 9:30 AM

They’re going to make the Sox and the Angels pay big time for Crawford, it’s the Yankees way of saying Merry Christmas to those two teams. The Yankees have alot of love for both of them.

5. Ari Collins - Dec 3, 2010 at 10:40 AM

I’d like to see the Yankees get Crawford… if it means they don’t get Lee.

6. jfk69 - Dec 3, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Sign Crawford to play left and give him the contract Jeter wanted. I am sure spunky Brett Gardner or the Swish can play third and move ARod back to short.
    Let Boston sign Jeter for 60 million over three years and wish him well. If Jeter can win a gold glove with a range of three feet on either side of him then tiny Fenway park is made for him.

7. yankees1996 - Dec 3, 2010 at 11:01 AM

This is mind games by the Yanks probably nothing more, but on the other hand Gardner might be good trade bait when dangled with someone like say…..Joba.

8. uyf1950 - Dec 3, 2010 at 11:16 AM

If the Yankees were to sign Crawford I think they would move Swisher primarily because he is only under the Yankees control through 2012. Where Granderson is under the teams control through 2013. I don’t think there is any way they move Gardner to much up side/potential and to inexpensive. Even though I say I believe the Yankees would move Swisher I would like to see them move Granderson in that case. Granderson is way to inconsistent. I would love to see a batting order of: Gardner, Crawford, Tex, ARod, Cano, Swisher, Montero, Posada(DH), Jeter.
    The only problem is of course Jeter has to bat 1st or 2nd. If that’s the case the Yankees will as they have done in the past drop Gardner down in the order. Of course all of that is a big IF the Yankees sign Crawford.

• yankees1996 - Dec 3, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Nice lineup, but I am going to have to disagree with moving Swish over Gardner. I like Gardner his speed is nerve racking when on base and his defense is good, however for a left handed hitter in Yankee stadium I would expect his power numbers to be better. The reason I think he and Joba would make good trade bait is simply because of his speed, Jobas’ velocity and both of them are younger players.

• uyf1950 - Dec 3, 2010 at 12:32 PM

To yankees1996 – give the kid time he only has 300+ games under his belt. That equates to basically 2 season. He’s not a power hitter, but more power will come with time and experience. Also keep in mind left field in Yankee Stadium is the deeper part of the ball park. It’s right field with the “short porch”. Also just for comparison Swisher when batting from the left side (the same side Gardner hits from) over the last 2 seasons Swisher in 340 AB has 13 HR’s. Most of Swishers power comes from batting on the right side and hitting to the “short” right field fence at Yankee Stadium. Besides if the success of Tampa Bay has taught us anything it’s that “small ball” and speed can win a lot of games. Imagine if the Yankees can combine speed with Gardner & Crawford, and power with Tex, ARod, Cano, Montero and Posada(DH). I think it would be something to behold. Did you notice one thing missing from what I just said. Jeter, he neither has speed nor power at this stage of his career. Hopefully it’s his experience that he adds to the offensive part of the equation. But those are just my opinions.

9. yankees1996 - Dec 3, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Well, I agree with most of what you said and I do realize that Gardner is not a power hitter but after 300 games I would have believed that he would have his stroke down by now. I do agree with the small ball comments and yes, the havoc that Gardner and Crawford could cause would be well worth it. We are probably talking about this for nothing anyway, but it is cool to think about the possibilities.

• uyf1950 - Dec 3, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Well it may not be for nothing if the Yankees don’t get Lee. I’m still not convinced that Lee will sign with the Yankees. I have to admit that my “gut” tells me he signs with Texas. Then the Yankees can go after Crawford or Werth and flip one of their current outfielders and perhaps “Joba” for a #2 starter. I figure while I’m dreaming it doesn’t hurt to dream about all the possibilities.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5638)