Dec 4, 2010, 9:35 PM EDT
That’s what the Toronto Sun’s Bob Elliott believes, and while he doesn’t have any particulars on what’s being discussed, he sees a package led by Kyle Drabek and Travis Snider potentially getting a deal done.
Which sounds like a very legitimate offer. Drabek was the biggest of the three pieces the Jays got back from the Phillies for Roy Halladay last season. Doug’s son went 14-9 with a 2.94 ERA in Double-A last season, and though he lost all three of September starts in his major league debut, he hardly embarrassed himself by posting a 4.76 ERA. He has No. 2-starter upside.
Snider has yet to really put it together in the majors, but his .255/.318/.446 line in 612 at-bats isn’t too shabby for a guy who isn’t even 23 yet. He’s still well on his way to becoming a 30-homer guy, and he’s proved solid enough defensively in left field for a guy who was pegged by some as a future DH coming out of high school.
Ideally, the Jays wouldn’t have to part with both and could instead trade one of the two along with perhaps two from the group of left-hander Brett Cecil, catcher J.P. Arencibia and outfielder Anthony Gose. Greinke, though, will fetch a bigger return than Adrian Gonzalez did, mostly because he’s under control for two more years. If the Jays are serious about bringing him in, they’ll probably have to use both of their biggest chips.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 34
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)