Dec 4, 2010, 1:11 PM EST
Joe McDonald of ESPNBoston.com just spoke with Kevin Youkilis, who was thrilled to hear about the pending trade for Adrian Gonzalez.
“It’s great,” Youkilis said. “The way he hits at PETCO [Park], he can hit at Fenway Park because he can use the [left field] wall to his advantage. It’s going to be great to have him on the team. That’ll be a huge acquisition for us if everything works out.”
Youkilis, who underwent season-ending surgery on his right thumb in August, doesn’t mind moving back to third base.
“I’m not worried about that,” he said. “I just have to work hard like I always do and focus on playing third and not first. There’s a lot of time at spring training to do all that. I’ll prepare myself the right way to play as many games as I can at third base.”
While Youkilis is no Adrian Beltre at the hot corner, he has been above average there during his career, according to UZR (Ultimate Zone Rating) on FanGraphs. We spend a lot of time talking about Gonzalez’s bat, but don’t forget that the two-time Gold Glove Award winner also has the reputation as an excellent fielder.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 61
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 31
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)