Dec 4, 2010, 1:11 PM EDT
Joe McDonald of ESPNBoston.com just spoke with Kevin Youkilis, who was thrilled to hear about the pending trade for Adrian Gonzalez.
“It’s great,” Youkilis said. “The way he hits at PETCO [Park], he can hit at Fenway Park because he can use the [left field] wall to his advantage. It’s going to be great to have him on the team. That’ll be a huge acquisition for us if everything works out.”
Youkilis, who underwent season-ending surgery on his right thumb in August, doesn’t mind moving back to third base.
“I’m not worried about that,” he said. “I just have to work hard like I always do and focus on playing third and not first. There’s a lot of time at spring training to do all that. I’ll prepare myself the right way to play as many games as I can at third base.”
While Youkilis is no Adrian Beltre at the hot corner, he has been above average there during his career, according to UZR (Ultimate Zone Rating) on FanGraphs. We spend a lot of time talking about Gonzalez’s bat, but don’t forget that the two-time Gold Glove Award winner also has the reputation as an excellent fielder.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)