Dec 4, 2010, 3:41 PM EDT
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports the Diamondbacks have interest in signing a backup catcher and that Henry Blanco is “at or near the top” of their list.
Blanco, 39, batted .215/.271/.300 with two home runs and eight RBI in 144 plate appearances with the Mets this past season while throwing out 50 percent (11-for-22) of would-be basestealers. The veteran backstop has a good reputation in the clubhouse and is known as a mentor to younger catchers, but much like the newly-signed Geoff Blum, he also has a connection with new Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers from their time together in San Diego. By the way, Blanco also looks like a good guy to have on your side during a fight.
I know, I know, this isn’t really anything particularly noteworthy, but anything involving Blanco has extra meaning to me, since I sponsor his page on Baseball Reference. Good luck to Hank.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 47
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 82
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)