Dec 4, 2010, 3:41 PM EST
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports the Diamondbacks have interest in signing a backup catcher and that Henry Blanco is “at or near the top” of their list.
Blanco, 39, batted .215/.271/.300 with two home runs and eight RBI in 144 plate appearances with the Mets this past season while throwing out 50 percent (11-for-22) of would-be basestealers. The veteran backstop has a good reputation in the clubhouse and is known as a mentor to younger catchers, but much like the newly-signed Geoff Blum, he also has a connection with new Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers from their time together in San Diego. By the way, Blanco also looks like a good guy to have on your side during a fight.
I know, I know, this isn’t really anything particularly noteworthy, but anything involving Blanco has extra meaning to me, since I sponsor his page on Baseball Reference. Good luck to Hank.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)