Dec 4, 2010, 5:37 PM EDT
UPDATE: The negotiating window for the Red Sox to complete a deal with Adrian Gonzalez expires at 2 p.m. ET tomorrow, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com.
12:36 PM: According to Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com, Adrian Gonzalez has already completed a physical with the Red Sox. McAdam was told that Gonzalez’s surgically-repaired right shoulder “should be just fine,” but that there are “minor tests” that still need to be completed.
12:00 PM: Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com hears that Adrian Gonzalez wants a “Howard-type contract.”
If so, that would actually be a pretty sweet deal for the Red Sox. Howard signed a five-year, $125 million extension with the Phillies in April, which includes a $23 million option for 2017. It’s a bad deal for the Phillies because Howard will be 32 years old before the extension even begins in 2012. It would be quite a coup to lock up Gonzalez at those terms before he turns 30 years old.
11:30 AM: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that in addition to right-hander Casey Kelly, first baseman Anthony Rizzo and outfielder Reymond Fuentes, the Padres will also receive a player to be named later from the Red Sox in exchange for Adrian Gonzalez.
One wonders if the PTBNL could be someone from the 2010 First-Year Player Draft, as such players are ineligible to be traded until June of 2011.
11:20 AM: Jon Heyman of SI.com writes that there is still work to be done on a contract extension and that the process may take a day or two. We have seen MLB approve 72-hour windows in the past — the Johan Santana trade, for example — so they have some time to hammer out an agreement.
For what it’s worth, Heyman guesses they will add seven years and roughly $165-170 million to his $5 million option for 2011, which was already exercised by the Padres. If true, it would be a comparable deal to the eight-year, $180 million contract Mark Teixeira signed with the Yankees in December of 2008.
10:17 AM: Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com reports that the Padres will receive right-hander Casey Kelly, first baseman Anthony Rizzo and outfielder Reymond Fuentes from the Red Sox in exchange for Adrian Gonzalez.
Baseball America recently ranked Kelly as Boston’s top prospect, while Rizzo was third and Fuentes (who is cousins with Carlos Beltran) was sixth.
10:09 AM: Jon Heyman of SI.com confirms that Gonzalez is in Boston and that negotiations on a contract extension should begin shortly. He also writes that top pitching prospect Casey Kelly is in the deal, which backs up a report by Dan Hayes of the North County Times last night.
According to Alex Speier of WEEI.com, multiple Red Sox prospects rumored to be involved in the deal say they have yet to hear anything from the team.
9:01 AM: Buster Olney of ESPN.com tweets that Gonzalez has arrived in Boston.
8:20 AM: Oh baby. It looks like the Red Sox have gotten their man.
According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, Adrian Gonzalez is expected in Boston today for a physical, which should be one of the last hurdles before a trade with the Padres becomes official. Major league baseball has also approved a negotiating window for the Red Sox to work out a contract extension with Gonzalez, according to Buster Olney of ESPN.com. Of course, the physical can’t be completely overlooked, as Gonzalez underwent surgery on his right shoulder last month, although he is expected to be ready for the start of the season.
OK, so who’s in this deal, anyway? Well, the Padres are expected to receive “three or four prospects from the Red Sox, including one who is major-league ready.” According to Cafardo, talks have centered around prospect first baseman Anthony Rizzo and prospect right-hander Casey Kelly. Buster Olney of ESPN.com writes that all players have been agreed to.
This one isn’t official yet, but the Red Sox have effectively thrown down the gauntlet just before the winter meetings. Your move, Yankees?
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 12
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 3
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games