Dec 4, 2010, 11:26 AM EDT
UPDATE: Another source tells Rosenthal that it’s “highly unlikely” that the Padres will move Heath Bell this offseason.
Why? Well, folks like Rafael Soriano, Bobby Jenks, Kevin Gregg, Brian Fuentes, Kerry Wood are all available in free agency. The wealth of options will undoubtedly hurt what the Padres could receive in return. There would be some advantage to acquiring Bell this winter in that it wouldn’t require a multi-year contract, but there’s a good chance that the Padres will be able to find a better deal from a desperate team as the trade deadline approaches next season.
11:05 AM: This isn’t a fun day for Padres fans.
With their franchise player Adrian Gonzalez about to be shipped to Boston, a source tells Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com that the Padres will “absolutely” trade Heath Bell.
Bell has a 2.54 ERA over four seasons since joining the Padres and has blossomed into one of the most dominant closers in all of baseball. The 33-year-old earned $4 million through the arbitration process this past season while posting a 1.93 ERA, 47 saves and an 86/28 K/BB ratio over 70 innings.
He figures to make upwards of $6 million in his final year of arbitration this winter, so with Gonzalez about to be traded for a trio of minor leaguers, it doesn’t make much sense to have him closing games for a team that is unlikely to compete for the playoffs in 2011.
Rosenthal names the White Sox, Angels, Marlins, Cardinals, Blue Jays and Rays as teams that could have interest in Bell. He should be one of the hottest commodities at next week’s winter meetings.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)