Dec 4, 2010, 11:26 AM EDT
UPDATE: Another source tells Rosenthal that it’s “highly unlikely” that the Padres will move Heath Bell this offseason.
Why? Well, folks like Rafael Soriano, Bobby Jenks, Kevin Gregg, Brian Fuentes, Kerry Wood are all available in free agency. The wealth of options will undoubtedly hurt what the Padres could receive in return. There would be some advantage to acquiring Bell this winter in that it wouldn’t require a multi-year contract, but there’s a good chance that the Padres will be able to find a better deal from a desperate team as the trade deadline approaches next season.
11:05 AM: This isn’t a fun day for Padres fans.
With their franchise player Adrian Gonzalez about to be shipped to Boston, a source tells Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com that the Padres will “absolutely” trade Heath Bell.
Bell has a 2.54 ERA over four seasons since joining the Padres and has blossomed into one of the most dominant closers in all of baseball. The 33-year-old earned $4 million through the arbitration process this past season while posting a 1.93 ERA, 47 saves and an 86/28 K/BB ratio over 70 innings.
He figures to make upwards of $6 million in his final year of arbitration this winter, so with Gonzalez about to be traded for a trio of minor leaguers, it doesn’t make much sense to have him closing games for a team that is unlikely to compete for the playoffs in 2011.
Rosenthal names the White Sox, Angels, Marlins, Cardinals, Blue Jays and Rays as teams that could have interest in Bell. He should be one of the hottest commodities at next week’s winter meetings.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 123
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)