Dec 4, 2010, 1:52 PM EDT
Now that the Red Sox have reached a tentative agreement to acquire Adrian Gonzalez from the Padres in exchange for right-hander Casey Kelly, first baseman Anthony Rizzo, outfielder Reymond Fuentes and a player to be named later, it’s time to ask how much money it will take to keep him for the long-term.
Of course, the Phillies were panned for signing Howard to a five-year, $125 million extension in March, so what’s the difference here? Well, the extension doesn’t even begin until the 2012 season. Howard will be 32 years old by then. Gonzalez, by contrast, doesn’t turn 29 years old until next May and has been the superior player to Howard over the past three seasons.
In the end, this comp may be all wrong. Rival executives and and agents told Buster Olney of ESPN.com this morning that Gonzalez is “very much in line” to ask for a seven or eight year contract worth between $20-23 million per season, which would put him very close to the eight-year, $180 million contract Mark Teixeira signed with the Yankees in December of 2008. Gonzalez compares more favorably to Teixeira than he does to Howard, so it’s not an unreasonable conclusion to make. Either way, this one stands a good chance to surpass Manny Ramirez’s eight-year, $160 million contract as the richest in franchise history.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 8
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 14
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)