Dec 4, 2010, 1:52 PM EDT
Now that the Red Sox have reached a tentative agreement to acquire Adrian Gonzalez from the Padres in exchange for right-hander Casey Kelly, first baseman Anthony Rizzo, outfielder Reymond Fuentes and a player to be named later, it’s time to ask how much money it will take to keep him for the long-term.
Of course, the Phillies were panned for signing Howard to a five-year, $125 million extension in March, so what’s the difference here? Well, the extension doesn’t even begin until the 2012 season. Howard will be 32 years old by then. Gonzalez, by contrast, doesn’t turn 29 years old until next May and has been the superior player to Howard over the past three seasons.
In the end, this comp may be all wrong. Rival executives and and agents told Buster Olney of ESPN.com this morning that Gonzalez is “very much in line” to ask for a seven or eight year contract worth between $20-23 million per season, which would put him very close to the eight-year, $180 million contract Mark Teixeira signed with the Yankees in December of 2008. Gonzalez compares more favorably to Teixeira than he does to Howard, so it’s not an unreasonable conclusion to make. Either way, this one stands a good chance to surpass Manny Ramirez’s eight-year, $160 million contract as the richest in franchise history.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 19
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 20
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 65
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)