Dec 5, 2010, 3:42 PM EDT
UPDATE, 3:42 PM: A source told Morosi that there’s a “better than 50/50 chance” that Gonzalez does not end up in Boston. If it’s not dead already, this swap is quickly dying.
UPDATE, 3:22 PM: FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi was told that the deal is “not done yet.”
UPDATE, 3:15 PM: Tom Krasovic of AOL Fanhouse got a quote from Gonzalez’s agent, Josh Boggs:
“All I can say is, it was very disappointing it could not work out. We’re very busy at this point.”
UPDATE, 3:01 PM: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com notes that the Red Sox and Padres can still complete the trade, but that Boston probably won’t want to surrender four prospects for a one-year player. And rightly so.
UPDATE, 2:56 PM: More from Heyman: Gonzalez asked for an eight-year extension early on in the negotiations. The Red Sox were only willing to give him six and it sounds as though a compromise could not be reached.
2:45 PM: What a turn of events.
According to SI.com’s Jon Heyman, the trade that would have sent Adrian Gonzalez to the Red Sox for prospects Casey Kelly, Anthony Rizzo, Reymond Fuentes and a PTBNL has fallen through because Boston could not reach agreement on a contract extension with the Padres first baseman.
Reports had Gonzalez seeking a contract similar to the five-year, $125 million one that Ryan Howard signed with the Phillies earlier this year. Our guess is he was asking for far more, otherwise the Red Sox wouldn’t have balked. After all, they’ve been trying to acquire Gonzalez for over two years.
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 0
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 17
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 20
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 43
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- Zack Greinke’s scoreless innings streak ends at 45 2/3 7
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)