Dec 5, 2010, 3:42 PM EDT
UPDATE, 3:42 PM: A source told Morosi that there’s a “better than 50/50 chance” that Gonzalez does not end up in Boston. If it’s not dead already, this swap is quickly dying.
UPDATE, 3:22 PM: FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi was told that the deal is “not done yet.”
UPDATE, 3:15 PM: Tom Krasovic of AOL Fanhouse got a quote from Gonzalez’s agent, Josh Boggs:
“All I can say is, it was very disappointing it could not work out. We’re very busy at this point.”
UPDATE, 3:01 PM: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com notes that the Red Sox and Padres can still complete the trade, but that Boston probably won’t want to surrender four prospects for a one-year player. And rightly so.
UPDATE, 2:56 PM: More from Heyman: Gonzalez asked for an eight-year extension early on in the negotiations. The Red Sox were only willing to give him six and it sounds as though a compromise could not be reached.
2:45 PM: What a turn of events.
According to SI.com’s Jon Heyman, the trade that would have sent Adrian Gonzalez to the Red Sox for prospects Casey Kelly, Anthony Rizzo, Reymond Fuentes and a PTBNL has fallen through because Boston could not reach agreement on a contract extension with the Padres first baseman.
Reports had Gonzalez seeking a contract similar to the five-year, $125 million one that Ryan Howard signed with the Phillies earlier this year. Our guess is he was asking for far more, otherwise the Red Sox wouldn’t have balked. After all, they’ve been trying to acquire Gonzalez for over two years.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)