Dec 5, 2010, 3:42 PM EST
UPDATE, 3:42 PM: A source told Morosi that there’s a “better than 50/50 chance” that Gonzalez does not end up in Boston. If it’s not dead already, this swap is quickly dying.
UPDATE, 3:22 PM: FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi was told that the deal is “not done yet.”
UPDATE, 3:15 PM: Tom Krasovic of AOL Fanhouse got a quote from Gonzalez’s agent, Josh Boggs:
“All I can say is, it was very disappointing it could not work out. We’re very busy at this point.”
UPDATE, 3:01 PM: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com notes that the Red Sox and Padres can still complete the trade, but that Boston probably won’t want to surrender four prospects for a one-year player. And rightly so.
UPDATE, 2:56 PM: More from Heyman: Gonzalez asked for an eight-year extension early on in the negotiations. The Red Sox were only willing to give him six and it sounds as though a compromise could not be reached.
2:45 PM: What a turn of events.
According to SI.com’s Jon Heyman, the trade that would have sent Adrian Gonzalez to the Red Sox for prospects Casey Kelly, Anthony Rizzo, Reymond Fuentes and a PTBNL has fallen through because Boston could not reach agreement on a contract extension with the Padres first baseman.
Reports had Gonzalez seeking a contract similar to the five-year, $125 million one that Ryan Howard signed with the Phillies earlier this year. Our guess is he was asking for far more, otherwise the Red Sox wouldn’t have balked. After all, they’ve been trying to acquire Gonzalez for over two years.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)