Dec 5, 2010, 3:42 PM EST
UPDATE, 3:42 PM: A source told Morosi that there’s a “better than 50/50 chance” that Gonzalez does not end up in Boston. If it’s not dead already, this swap is quickly dying.
UPDATE, 3:22 PM: FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi was told that the deal is “not done yet.”
UPDATE, 3:15 PM: Tom Krasovic of AOL Fanhouse got a quote from Gonzalez’s agent, Josh Boggs:
“All I can say is, it was very disappointing it could not work out. We’re very busy at this point.”
UPDATE, 3:01 PM: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com notes that the Red Sox and Padres can still complete the trade, but that Boston probably won’t want to surrender four prospects for a one-year player. And rightly so.
UPDATE, 2:56 PM: More from Heyman: Gonzalez asked for an eight-year extension early on in the negotiations. The Red Sox were only willing to give him six and it sounds as though a compromise could not be reached.
2:45 PM: What a turn of events.
According to SI.com’s Jon Heyman, the trade that would have sent Adrian Gonzalez to the Red Sox for prospects Casey Kelly, Anthony Rizzo, Reymond Fuentes and a PTBNL has fallen through because Boston could not reach agreement on a contract extension with the Padres first baseman.
Reports had Gonzalez seeking a contract similar to the five-year, $125 million one that Ryan Howard signed with the Phillies earlier this year. Our guess is he was asking for far more, otherwise the Red Sox wouldn’t have balked. After all, they’ve been trying to acquire Gonzalez for over two years.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 64
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 120
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 79
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- So Curt Schilling spent his evening arguing against the theory of evolution (165)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)